Old June 24th 04, 01:26 PM
mike

Default Bird Brained Question

This sort of some what tounge in cheek question is what truely makes
these forums interesting. I have followed this thread with interest.

Mike N0QFV
Old June 24th 04, 03:17 PM
Irv Finkleman

AA5QT wrote:

For the first time in many years, I'm about to put up a 20 meter monobander on
a tower. The XYL is asking questions I cannot answer, specifically relating to
RF and birds. I wouldn't want to be a bird sitting on an element when a KW is
supplied to it? Are my concerns valid?

Gary K5QT

Back in the '60's, at Naval Radio Station CKN, we had a number, perhaps ten or
fifteen, of multikilowatt transmitters all feeding the antennas
through open wire line. The transmitter building was like a huge barn with all the
wires running from the transmitters to the antennas. An occasional bird would fly in,
and we would chase them out with a broom! We never lost a bird, but the junior hand on
the watch would have to sweep out, and in an evening we could count on half a trash-can
full of dead flies! The building was in the middle of a swamp area and full of assorted
flying insects. Those same flies were responsible for occasional trip-off's of the
transmitters, and you could hear frequent snaps if and when they happened
into a critical area, for example between capacitor plates, and drew an arc.
If you picked up a fluorescent tube, it would light up from all the RF floating
around. I've often wondered about how much effect the RF had on me -- although
my Ex would tell you I am stark raving mad! :-0

The antenna fields should have been filled with dead birds if the feeders or
the antennas themselves were a hazard, but apparently not.

Ah, the memories! Great!

Irv VE6BP
--
--------------------------------------
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001
Old June 24th 04, 05:23 PM
Dan Richardson

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:17:23 GMT, Irv Finkleman
wrote:

Back in the '60's, at Naval Radio Station CKN, we had a number, perhaps ten or
fifteen, of multikilowatt transmitters all feeding the antennas through open wire line.

[snip]
I've often wondered about how much effect the RF had on me -- although
my Ex would tell you I am stark raving mad! :-0

Irv VE6BP

About the same time I was stationed at a loran station and while
serving there I "hot jumped" the tower several times. Loran stations
put out a maga-watt and I never noticed any sensation - not even a
slightest tingle. But, on a damp day, jumping off the tower would draw
a heck of an arc with a resounding ZAAAAAP.

However, like you Irv, my wife would be unable to afirm my healty
mental state. G

Danny, K6MHE

Old June 24th 04, 07:23 PM
Richard Harrison

Danny, K6MHE wrote:
"I hot jumped the tower several times."

I`ve done the same in a 5 KW medium wave broadcast station to avoid a
burn during transfer, climbing the hot tower with no ill effects.

I`ve also accidentally contacted a 50 KW signal on a 600-ohm line while
standing on the roof of a shortwave broadcast plant. That wire really
burnt my ear. Glad I wasn`t a bird!

Our shortwave transmission lines carried mostly 50 KW and 100 KW
signals, usually at near 100% modulation of the amplitude variety. Our
carriers were between 6 MHz and 16 MHz, sometimes higher or lower,
depending on target, time of day, or season.

When a bird landed on a transmission line wire he mostly evaporated
without a trace except for his claws gripping the wire. There was a puff
of smoke and steam during the instantaneous event. The transmitter
usually had no visible response. It kept right on pumping out the
megacycles. Our transmission lines were coated with bird claws.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old June 25th 04, 12:54 AM
Mark

The only time I've heard of birds coming out on the short end of the
deal was at a VOA transmitter site in Ohio running megawatts of power
along open feed lines. I'm sure your maximum forward power wouldn't
even approach their reflected power (grin).

Mark

Old June 25th 04, 09:03 AM
Chuck...K1KW

Came home one day in the early fall several years ago and found that many
black birds were sitting on all elements of my top 18E log periodic.
Decided to see what happened so I fired up the linear on 17 M and let out a
full carrier. Looked like at least 1/2 the elements had significant voltage
on them and the birds that didn't fall directly down and landed on the
ground, flew off...for a while, some crashed also...empirical testing of
voltage (power?) distribution....interesting....(:)

Chuck...K1KW

Old June 25th 04, 07:51 PM
Angtao-Ping

During my working days in a shortwave relay station, we used to go out to
the field to clear off the hanging charred claws on the feeder lines. The
birds standing on the feeder line did not know when we will switch on the
250kw transmitters and burnt to death instantly, leaving behind the claws
hanging on the line.

weng -9M2FO-