Old December 31st 03, 10:32 AM
Telamon

In article , starman
wrote:

Tony Meloche wrote:

starman wrote:

Tony Meloche wrote:

tommyknocker wrote:

Australia

Good catch! On any radio, at any time! I don't think that they
(yet) have any relay in N. America, though I heard they are planning
one.

I can hear them regularly in California.

Very understandable - every DXer I know from California can hear
them regularly from there. In the Midwest/East USA, Australia is much
more of a prize catch!

Australia is a piece of cake on 9580 most every morning. Has been for
decades.

True - around 9:00 Eastern Standard time, I have logged them many
times there myself. But I don't know if that's the time he was
listening, or the frequency he got them on. And any station as far away
from you as a station can get on this planet is a good catch - if you
are a beginner - which he is. I apologize if you feel I made a mistake
trying to encourage a beginner.

I was just replying to your comment that hearing Australia in the
eastern US is a prize catch when it's actually quite easy. OTOH- I'd
like to hear the Asian stations the way they're heard on the west coast.
I did get Japan the other evening on 15325 with the usual auroral
flutter. That was the only frequency out of the many they were using
that I could hear. Of course their signal from the Radio Canada relay
will peel the paint off the walls of your receiver room if you turn the
volume up too high but I like the challenge of hearing countries from
transmitters located on their native soil.

BTW- I have a QSL card from the farthest shortwave broadcast station on
the earth from me in Perth, Australia. They used to be heard on 9610 in
the morning here (NE-US).

Chill dudes! Australia can be a next to impossible or very easy to get
depending on time of day and season in any part of North America.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California