Old December 31st 03, 03:14 AM
David Mills

Default short wave Reception report Lots of stations received!

Hi,

In the even anyone is interested I thought I would share what I have
been able to pull in with my Grundig YB 300 radio. keep in mind that I live
in the state of New Hampshire in the United States!

Just since Christmas I have been able to listen to:

Voice of America
the BBC
Radio France International
Radio Switzerland International
Germany
The Netherlands
the voice of Vietnam (yes Vietnam!!!)
China
Radio Canada International
Bulgaria
Spain
Australia
Japan (not sure about this one though)

And then there of course are the domestic evangelical type stations that I
just cruise on by...!!!!

I have heard the above stations in English, French, german, and spanish.
Other languages are probably heard as well.but at least I can identify
these.

All of the above has been hear with out the use of an external antenna..i
have just used the atenna that comes with the radio!!

In most instances the reception has been clear at least for a while.
Eventually after say 15 -30 minutes I start getting some interference. And
of course sometimes they just stop broadcasting or even move on to another
language.

I have heard far away places like Vietnam and china and Japan at times
clearer than closer places like France or BBC. Hmmm.

Now.. personally...I think this is pretty darned good!! I am personally
quite satisfied with this radio.

I wonder..what would be the advantage of a radio costing a couple hundred
more? I mean.. in terms of what one could get and how well?

Old December 31st 03, 04:50 AM
Tony Meloche

Hi David:

The good news is that you are really learning to *listen* and use
that radio. You are gaining invaluable experience. There is really no
bad news, but you should be aware of a few things - see the intersperse
with your list below:

Just since Christmas I have been able to listen to:

Voice of America
the BBC
Radio France International
Radio Switzerland International
Germany
The Netherlands
the voice of Vietnam (yes Vietnam!!!)

That broadcast was coming from a relay transmitter in Sackville, N.B.
Canada. Easy catch in New Hampshire.

China

Quite possibly from China! But they also have relay transmissions
from many other locales, including Havana and (you guessed it)
Sackville, CA.

Radio Canada International

Bulgaria

Good one! That was almost certainly from Bulgaria, or Europe at the very
least - I don't think they have any relay broadcasts in N. America.

Spain

May have been from Noblejas, Spain, may have been from Sackville,
again.

Australia

Good catch! On any radio, at any time! I don't think that they
(yet) have any relay in N. America, though I heard they are planning
one.

I have heard the above stations in English, French, german, and spanish.
Other languages are probably heard as well.but at least I can identify
these.

Keep in mind that almost any country you can name has a daily
broadcast in almost any *languarge* you can name! Pick a country, pick
a language, and odds are they have a broadcast daily in that language.
Makes it confusing, doesn't it? But also more interesting!

I have heard far away places like Vietnam and china and Japan at times
clearer than closer places like France or BBC. Hmmm.

Ah . . see coments under "Sackville, Canada" above ;)

Now.. personally...I think this is pretty darned good!! I am personally
quite satisfied with this radio.

For someone who just got a SW radio, it's excellent - you are off to
a great start, and I mean that. Did you see the post I made about Mark
Fine's program called RLDB? You *NEED* that program, Dave!!

I wonder..what would be the advantage of a radio costing a couple hundred
more? I mean.. in terms of what one could get and how well?

Coupled with a decent longwire or random wire antenna? Stations from
the hills in Paraguay with a power of 1,000 watts coming directly to
your home (on a good night). That's one of dozens of examples I could
give. Your post shows you're "learning the ropes" very nicely! But
there is challenge and excitement
of the "catch" out there that you will not be able to approach with your
current radio/antenna setup. But for right now, I think it's the
perfect radio for you. You "grow" into a better one, ideally. And if
your interest is highest for listening to broadcasts of the world's "big
boys" (fascinating enough in itself) you may never need another radio
than the Yacht Boy.

Keep in touch . .

Tony

Old December 31st 03, 05:38 AM
tommyknocker

Tony Meloche wrote:

[...]

He might mean Taiwan, which is relayed from a transmitter in South
Carolina, I believe.

Radio Canada International

Bulgaria

Good one! That was almost certainly from Bulgaria, or Europe at the very
least - I don't think they have any relay broadcasts in N. America.

I heard them a couple days ago-in Bulgarian! I don't think THAT is
relayed from Sackville.

Spain

May have been from Noblejas, Spain, may have been from Sackville,
again.

Spain's 6055 freq is from the Noblejas site, according to Passport.

Australia

Good catch! On any radio, at any time! I don't think that they
(yet) have any relay in N. America, though I heard they are planning
one.

I can hear them regularly in California.

[...]

No, I didn't. Haven't heard of it, actually.

I wonder..what would be the advantage of a radio costing a couple hundred
more? I mean.. in terms of what one could get and how well?

Coupled with a decent longwire or random wire antenna? Stations from
the hills in Paraguay with a power of 1,000 watts coming directly to
your home (on a good night). That's one of dozens of examples I could
give. Your post shows you're "learning the ropes" very nicely! But
there is challenge and excitement
of the "catch" out there that you will not be able to approach with your
current radio/antenna setup. But for right now, I think it's the
perfect radio for you. You "grow" into a better one, ideally. And if
your interest is highest for listening to broadcasts of the world's "big
boys" (fascinating enough in itself) you may never need another radio
than the Yacht Boy.

Speaking of the tropical bands, I haven't been able to get much on them
lately. I'm hearing a loud buzz all across the lower freqs, but I can't
seem to narrow down where it's coming from. I've tried taking a portable
and going around my house with no luck. I got a couple Peruvians tonight
but that's about it.

Keep in touch . .

Tony

Old December 31st 03, 05:49 AM
Tony Meloche

tommyknocker wrote:

Australia

Good catch! On any radio, at any time! I don't think that they
(yet) have any relay in N. America, though I heard they are planning
one.

I can hear them regularly in California.

Very understandable - every DXer I know from California can hear
them regularly from there. In the Midwest/East USA, Australia is much
more of a prize catch!

Tony

Old December 31st 03, 06:56 AM
starman

Tony Meloche wrote:

tommyknocker wrote:

Australia

Good catch! On any radio, at any time! I don't think that they
(yet) have any relay in N. America, though I heard they are planning
one.

I can hear them regularly in California.

Very understandable - every DXer I know from California can hear
them regularly from there. In the Midwest/East USA, Australia is much
more of a prize catch!

Australia is a piece of cake on 9580 most every morning. Has been for
decades.

Old December 31st 03, 07:18 AM
Tony Meloche

starman wrote:

Tony Meloche wrote:

tommyknocker wrote:

Australia

Good catch! On any radio, at any time! I don't think that they
(yet) have any relay in N. America, though I heard they are planning
one.

I can hear them regularly in California.

Very understandable - every DXer I know from California can hear
them regularly from there. In the Midwest/East USA, Australia is much
more of a prize catch!

Australia is a piece of cake on 9580 most every morning. Has been for
decades.

True - around 9:00 Eastern Standard time, I have logged them many
times there myself. But I don't know if that's the time he was
listening, or the frequency he got them on. And any station as far away
from you as a station can get on this planet is a good catch - if you
are a beginner - which he is. I apologize if you feel I made a mistake
trying to encourage a beginner.

Tony

Old December 31st 03, 10:04 AM
starman

Tony Meloche wrote:

starman wrote:

Tony Meloche wrote:

tommyknocker wrote:

[...]

I was just replying to your comment that hearing Australia in the
eastern US is a prize catch when it's actually quite easy. OTOH- I'd
like to hear the Asian stations the way they're heard on the west coast.
I did get Japan the other evening on 15325 with the usual auroral
flutter. That was the only frequency out of the many they were using
that I could hear. Of course their signal from the Radio Canada relay
will peel the paint off the walls of your receiver room if you turn the
volume up too high but I like the challenge of hearing countries from
transmitters located on their native soil.

BTW- I have a QSL card from the farthest shortwave broadcast station on
the earth from me in Perth, Australia. They used to be heard on 9610 in
the morning here (NE-US).

Old December 31st 03, 10:32 AM
Telamon

In article , starman
wrote:

Tony Meloche wrote:

starman wrote:

Tony Meloche wrote:

tommyknocker wrote:

[...]

Chill dudes! Australia can be a next to impossible or very easy to get
depending on time of day and season in any part of North America.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 31st 03, 09:21 PM
Volker Tonn

David Mills schrieb:
Hi,

In the even anyone is interested I thought I would share what I have
been able to pull in with my Grundig YB 300 radio. keep in mind that I live
in the state of New Hampshire in the United States!

Maybe you might have a look on the ILG website and download the database
of all regular broadcasters on shortwave with all further information
you will need to catch them. It can also help to identify a received
unknown station and the transmitter location.

http://www.ilgradio.de/ilgradio.htm

Seems to me that the registration procedure to get access to the
database is no longer required.
Have fun with your radio.
73 and a happy new year to all.

odo

Old January 1st 04, 08:19 PM
Diverd4777

David:

FYI I've been picking up Radio New Zealand 0n 17.675 for the last couple of
nights;
down here in NYC, but - using a Long random wire;

It usually booms in starting in the Spring & summer, but This I find unusual,
it being near
the winter solstice when reception of New Zealand should be next to impossible;

And Radio Australia on 9.580 is solid enough in the morning to get the news at
8:00 A.M. or so

& I do wonder what reception would be like at night atop Mt Washington ;
In the Summer, You might be able to Pitch a tent up near the AMC hut at Lake
of The Clouds
sling up a random wire & see what you can get

- Presevere !

Dan