Old February 20th 04, 12:57 AM
Tony Meloche

DEE wrote:

Ok, I've got enought for either the R75 or the Sat800. They're
both about the same price. I'm not too concerned about portability
but looking for a great all around box for the money.

Sound: If you listen mostly with headphones, either is great. If
you like to listen mostly with speakers, the "as-it-comes" sound of the
Grundig is great. The Icom's built-in speaker is of afterthought
quality, but any external speaker works well with it.

If you like listening to mainstream broadcast SW, you'd be perfectly
happy with the Grundig. If you like best-possible reception abilities
with a good antenna, (serious DX) the Icom comes out well ahead. If you
like to do a lot of CW/RTTY listeningk the Icom gets the nod, but if you
are a really SERIOUS CW/RTTY person, you'd need some additional filters
for the Icom for best performance.

Tony