Old March 8th 04, 08:40 PM
starman

Maximus wrote:

The spies are still running numbers stations s. Anyone remember the
"russian woodpecker" ?

I heard the 'woodpecker' on the first day it started. According to a
'Google' search I just did, it was July 4, 1976. The shortwave community
was puzzled about what it was and where it was coming from. It took a
few days to figure out that the USSR had developed a new HF-OTH radar
system. The starting date was therefore not a coincidence. The Russians
loved to spoil anything related to the US, in this case it was the
bicentennial day. It wasn't long before the US had it's own version of
the woodpecker. It sounded different from the Russian one.
BTW- Does anyone know the official date when the Russian woodpecker was
last heard? I think it was in the late 80's.