Old March 10th 04, 05:20 PM
Corbin Ray

Default New Tecsun R9700DX

I received my newest cheap Chinese portable today, a Tecsun R9700DX, and I
was very disappointed. It was packaged nicely and it arrived on time, but
the radio wasn't much of a performer. I tried all the bands, and at no time
did it seem to be very sensitive.Even when I tried to listen to Rush on our
local AM, I seemed to have trouble tuning the radio right in the middle of
the carrier wave.

I like the size and sound ok, even though I could get the radio to distort
fairly easily by turning it up over half way on a local FM station. It's not
very ergonomic, hiding the power switch at the bottom of the left side
panel. The tuning knob seemed to be a bit tight, but felt solid. The volume
control was a slider control, and even though I would rather have a knob, my
first radio had a slider, and I thought that would be a neat feature on this
radio. I didn't do much for me.

I've put the radio back in the box. If I had bought it at my local Wal-Mart,
I would take it back. If it was worth $100, I might sell it on eBay. But
since I spent only $27.90 for the radio, it's not worth sending back to
Liypn nor listing it on eBay.