Old March 10th 04, 05:20 PM
Corbin Ray

Default New Tecsun R9700DX

I received my newest cheap Chinese portable today, a Tecsun R9700DX, and I
was very disappointed. It was packaged nicely and it arrived on time, but
the radio wasn't much of a performer. I tried all the bands, and at no time
did it seem to be very sensitive.Even when I tried to listen to Rush on our
local AM, I seemed to have trouble tuning the radio right in the middle of
the carrier wave.

I like the size and sound ok, even though I could get the radio to distort
fairly easily by turning it up over half way on a local FM station. It's not
very ergonomic, hiding the power switch at the bottom of the left side
panel. The tuning knob seemed to be a bit tight, but felt solid. The volume
control was a slider control, and even though I would rather have a knob, my
first radio had a slider, and I thought that would be a neat feature on this
radio. I didn't do much for me.

I've put the radio back in the box. If I had bought it at my local Wal-Mart,
I would take it back. If it was worth $100, I might sell it on eBay. But
since I spent only $27.90 for the radio, it's not worth sending back to
Liypn nor listing it on eBay.

Old March 10th 04, 08:23 PM
Jim Hackett

You mirror my thoughts EXACTLY. I just got mine 3 days ago. (YAWN)
I have the much touted Degen 1102 due here any day. I have a sneaky feeling
that it also will be less than the hype surrounding it. As an aside:
No, I am not expecting Drake performance out of any of the cheapies. It
would be nice if some of them lived up to the hype...

Old March 10th 04, 09:36 PM
Sanjaya

"Jim Hackett" ...
You mirror my thoughts EXACTLY. I just got mine 3 days ago. (YAWN)
I have the much touted Degen 1102 due here any day. I have a sneaky feeling
that it also will be less than the hype surrounding it.

[snip]

I really think you'll like the 1102 and recommend it to others.
Let us know... ok?

Old March 10th 04, 09:53 PM
Corbin Ray

I went ahead and listed it on eBay. No reserve. If somebody wants to bid on
it, here's the link:

Old March 11th 04, 12:07 AM
Jim Hackett

Funny though, I have close to 100 different portables (really need to count
them) and many are less than what I had hoped for. I have NEVER considered
selling any of them, so far. I did give a Bell & Howell away to someone on
the group for the cost of shipping though. Good or bad, they are mine.
Kinda like children, huh?

Old March 11th 04, 12:25 AM
Sanjaya

"Jim Hackett" wrote...
Funny though, I have close to 100 different portables (really need to count
them) and many are less than what I had hoped for. I have NEVER considered
selling any of them, so far. I did give a Bell & Howell away to someone on
the group for the cost of shipping though. Good or bad, they are mine.
Kinda like children, huh?

Yep : )
I want to adopt a Tecsun PL-550 next

Old March 11th 04, 07:37 AM
Dxluver

You mirror my thoughts EXACTLY. I just got mine 3 days ago. (YAWN)
I have the much touted Degen 1102 due here any day. I have a sneaky feeling
that it also will be less than the hype

*************rest snipped************
Jim and Corbin,
I feel your pain. *BUT*......you do get what you pay for. I don't undestand
the thinking. Unless, you absolutely don't have a small pocket radio, if
that's what you're looking for.......grab the DX399.....I'm sure they're out
there. If you want just BCB, grab a GE P-780.....shortwave with sideband the
DX402, a buddy a mine that has that piece cut out a lot of the problems
(fitering and whatnot) and now he can hook a longwire to it without all the
intermod and crosstalk on it.

Good luck guys, as I'm waiting on my second GE P-780. :-D
Old March 11th 04, 07:40 AM
Dxluver

According to your 'write up' though on ebay Corbin, it is just fine. What
gives? Hmmmm?
Old March 11th 04, 02:53 PM
Jim Hackett

I'm not "really" complaining. Radios are my hobby and I obviously have more
$ than brains I enjoy buying new radios and if I only get a few hours of
"play" time out of a $20 radio, I'm ok with that. I would have spent MORE
at a movie and wouldn't have anything to show for it later...

Old March 11th 04, 02:54 PM
Jim Hackett

I noticed that too :~) What's he supposed to say if he wants to sell it?
LOL