Old August 18th 03, 07:57 PM
David Robbins

isn't this the theory behind Litz wire? the claims are that the woven
insulated strands reduce skin effect... a few sources:
http://www.mwswire.com/litzmain.htm
http://www.litz-wire.com/
http://www.allproducts.com.tw/sup2/sunshine/07.html
http://www.newenglandelectricwire.com/litzwire.shtml

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
1951? New method?

Sorry I don't have that paper. I came across the phenomenon quite by
accident while developing delay line compensation networks at Tektronix
about a dozen years ago, when I saw that Copperweld wire had noticeably
less "dribble-up", as we called the characteristic shape of a step
affected by skin effect, than solid copper wire. I concluded at that
time that, although interesting and potentially very useful, it would
require a range of conductivities that wouldn't be practical to
manufacture -- which might be why I've never seen wire made in a way to
intentionally reduce skin effect. The general scheme is to make the low
frequency resistance higher, to match the high frequency resistance, by
reducing the conductivity as you go deeper into the wire. I imagine what
Clogston did was to rigorously derive what conductivity function would
be required with respect to depth. Perhaps it would be practical to do
over a narrower frequency range than I required (DC to 2 GHz in one
case, DC to 10 in the other).

I'd be interested in seeing the paper also.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Alfred Lorona wrote:
Does anyone have access to Proc. I.R.E., 39, 767 (1951) by A.M. Clogston
describing reduction of skin effect by a new method of laminated wire
construction? Should make interesting reading.

AL