Old March 28th 04, 10:26 AM
starman

Tom Holden wrote:

starman wrote:
Tom Holden wrote:

Sherwood Engineering rates the Drake R-4C as one of the
best receivers of all time. I have a R-4B.

Have you ever used the FS4 synthesizer with your R-4B? I
saw some plans for building a homebrew version of the FS4
but I can't find the website anymore.

Found these references to articles in Ham Radio - don't know if it's
homebrew or a review of the FS-4:
Aug-72 6 Frequency Synthesizer for the Drake R-4 W6NBI
Sep-74 74 Frequency Synthesizer for the Drake R-4 (mod. letter) NA

And this link to a digital read-out - the RAC Digital Dial:
http://www.wb4hfn.com/DrakeArticles/...talDial-01.htm still
available from http://www.radioadv.com/ham_radio_eq.../FreqMC/A2.htm

And a great collection farther up the tree at:
http://www.wb4hfn.com/DrakeHomePage.htm

A competing version of the RAC Digital Dial:
http://www.aade.com/dfd1.htm

Photo, description & schematic of the FS-4:
http://www.dproducts.be/drake_Museum/fs-4.htm
I see this is a substitute for the band-setting crystals so that you can
tune in 500kHz bands from 1.5MHz to 30 MHz instead of being rock-bound to
the ham bands plus a few others. It should be fairly easy to make something
that outputs at 500kHz steps from 12.6MHz to 40.6MHz with good phase noise.
But somebody else better design it!

Thanks Tom.