Old March 26th 04, 03:48 PM
Tom Holden

Mark S. Holden wrote:
Tom Holden wrote:
Comparisons are often invidious. The SSR-1 was made 20
years before the DX-394. Its published specs suggest it

[snip]

Tom - great last name!

I think the point is the DX-394 tends to be getting
expensive on ebay.

I've seen some dx-394's bring $250.

Quite a few close in the general range of $200.

Personal tastes vary, but I think a used ten-tec rx-320
offers more bang for the buck in the $200-$225 range.

Mark - your surname is great, too!

There's not one ten-tec RX-320 currently FA on eBay while there are
currently 7 DX-394's, and recently, 11! Closing prices for DX-394's have
ranged from $96-$275, averaging $164, over the last five months. The RX-320
requires a computer to run it; the DX-394 is complete. Sherwood Engineering
rates the Drake R-4C as one of the best receivers of all time. I have a
R-4B.

73, Tom

Old March 26th 04, 06:20 PM
the captain

did you upgrade the internal speaker or use a good external one for
the audio ?

I asked about a modified one and you complain that the selectivity is
bad without a replacement.

you are not giving me the information I need,

Can't anyone out there give good useful information.

I asked about a PROPERLY modified 394, I don't care if the stock unit
is no good. the stock R-5000 IS NO GOOD according to Ranier Liechte
and Larry Magne yet people on this group praise the radio. it needs to
have the upgraded AM filter.

I had a DX-398, did not like it at all, it has no sensitivity and
sounds cheesy.

I'd rather have a DX398 portable than the DX394. Even with all the
mods I could find it was still a poor radio. The memory scheme is
completely stupid, there is awful IF bleed-through, it has lousy
selectivity without replacement filters, and the audio is only
tolerable.

Old March 26th 04, 09:33 PM
Tom Holden

the captain wrote:
did you upgrade the internal speaker or use a good
external one for the audio ?

The sound from the stock speaker can be improved by the bass mod, the hum
mod, and the ANL defeat mod. Recently Kiwa brought out a kit of parts to do
the bass and ANL defeat mods plus replace several polarised electrolytic
caps with non-polarised for a further claimed improvement in clarity. If
that's not good enough, the external speaker is an easy upgrade but if you
want to keep it all in the box, then an internal speaker upgrade is the only
option. Personally, I would rather have the better speaker aimed at me -
hence external. If you really want to get fancy, plug the Tape Out into a
hi-fi system.

I asked about a modified one and you complain that the
selectivity is bad without a replacement.

The stock AM filter sounds very nice with strong signals in the clear. The
switchable selectivity mod allows you to switch in the stock SSB filter for
use with AM for better discrimination against interference with a sacrifice
of audio high frequencies.

you are not giving me the information I need,

Can't anyone out there give good useful information.

I think you have been given some good responses. For more information on the
DX-394, join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RADIOSHACKDX394/.

I asked about a PROPERLY modified 394, I don't care if
the stock unit is no good. the stock R-5000 IS NO GOOD
according to Ranier Liechte and Larry Magne yet people on
this group praise the radio. it needs to have the
upgraded AM filter.

I had a DX-398, did not like it at all, it has no
sensitivity and sounds cheesy.

I have not had a DX-398 and cannot compare first hand but one's a portable
and the other is a tabletop radio - I would think the intended use would be
the determining factor.

Old March 27th 04, 04:34 AM
starman

Tom Holden wrote:

Sherwood Engineering rates the Drake R-4C as one of the best receivers of all time. I have a R-4B.

Have you ever used the FS4 synthesizer with your R-4B? I saw some plans
for building a homebrew version of the FS4 but I can't find the website
anymore.

Old March 28th 04, 04:38 AM
Tom Holden

starman wrote:
Tom Holden wrote:

Sherwood Engineering rates the Drake R-4C as one of the
best receivers of all time. I have a R-4B.

Have you ever used the FS4 synthesizer with your R-4B? I
saw some plans for building a homebrew version of the FS4
but I can't find the website anymore.

Found these references to articles in Ham Radio - don't know if it's
homebrew or a review of the FS-4:
Aug-72 6 Frequency Synthesizer for the Drake R-4 W6NBI
Sep-74 74 Frequency Synthesizer for the Drake R-4 (mod. letter) NA

And this link to a digital read-out - the RAC Digital Dial:
http://www.wb4hfn.com/DrakeArticles/...talDial-01.htm still
available from http://www.radioadv.com/ham_radio_eq.../FreqMC/A2.htm

And a great collection farther up the tree at:
http://www.wb4hfn.com/DrakeHomePage.htm

A competing version of the RAC Digital Dial:
http://www.aade.com/dfd1.htm

Photo, description & schematic of the FS-4:
http://www.dproducts.be/drake_Museum/fs-4.htm
I see this is a substitute for the band-setting crystals so that you can
tune in 500kHz bands from 1.5MHz to 30 MHz instead of being rock-bound to
the ham bands plus a few others. It should be fairly easy to make something
that outputs at 500kHz steps from 12.6MHz to 40.6MHz with good phase noise.
But somebody else better design it!

Tom