Old April 13th 04, 08:36 PM
T. Early

"Frank" wrote in message
.. .
I'm strictly a beginner / hobbyist, wondering which purchase you

pros
would recommend:

Option 1: Got an ad in my latest Sears Canada bill selling two

Grundig
radios for CAD$ 149.99. You get both the S350 and the Mini 100PE.
Purchasing both elsewhere would cost me $149.99 + $39.99.

Option 2: Grundig YB400PE for CAD $199

Is the quality of the YB400PE better enough to warrant passing on

the
Sears 2-for-1 offer?

Thanks in advance!

The YB400PE is the best of the three radios. However, it's hard to
give buying advice in this situation without knowing 1) if you intend
to pursue the hobby enough to see the differences between the S350 and
YB400PE on SW, and 2) whether you have some need that's served by
having the less than ideal mini 100PE or if it's just an "extra" that
might sit around. Given the alternatives and without knowing the
answers, I'd lean to the 400PE for the long run, but would suggest you
consider the Kaito (Degan) 1102 (much discussed here) for a very
reasonably priced starter radio if you're comfortable with online
ordering through eBay.