Old April 13th 04, 05:22 PM
Frank

Default Sears Canada special (S350 + Mini100PE) or YB400PE?

I'm strictly a beginner / hobbyist, wondering which purchase you pros
would recommend:

Option 1: Got an ad in my latest Sears Canada bill selling two Grundig
radios for CAD$ 149.99. You get both the S350 and the Mini 100PE.
Purchasing both elsewhere would cost me $149.99 + $39.99.

Option 2: Grundig YB400PE for CAD $199

Is the quality of the YB400PE better enough to warrant passing on the
Sears 2-for-1 offer?

Thanks in advance!

- Frank

Old April 13th 04, 08:36 PM
T. Early

"Frank" wrote in message
.. .
I'm strictly a beginner / hobbyist, wondering which purchase you

pros
would recommend:

Option 1: Got an ad in my latest Sears Canada bill selling two

Grundig
radios for CAD$ 149.99. You get both the S350 and the Mini 100PE.
Purchasing both elsewhere would cost me $149.99 + $39.99.

Option 2: Grundig YB400PE for CAD $199

Is the quality of the YB400PE better enough to warrant passing on

the
Sears 2-for-1 offer?

Thanks in advance!

The YB400PE is the best of the three radios. However, it's hard to
give buying advice in this situation without knowing 1) if you intend
to pursue the hobby enough to see the differences between the S350 and
YB400PE on SW, and 2) whether you have some need that's served by
having the less than ideal mini 100PE or if it's just an "extra" that
might sit around. Given the alternatives and without knowing the
answers, I'd lean to the 400PE for the long run, but would suggest you
consider the Kaito (Degan) 1102 (much discussed here) for a very
reasonably priced starter radio if you're comfortable with online
ordering through eBay.

Old April 14th 04, 04:16 AM
Frank

Thanks guys - great tip! I already have a Realistic DX-392, which is
fine as a bedside radio, but I really want something smaller that I can
take around with me easily. The 1102 looks perfect - glad I asked!

Take care,
- Frank

Old April 14th 04, 05:39 AM
ken

Frank wrote in message ...
I'm strictly a beginner / hobbyist, wondering which purchase you pros
would recommend:

.................................................. .................................
I would suggest the YB 400 PE would be the best choice for three main
reasons:
1. It is a dual-conversion (IF 85mhz + 455khz)
2. It uses digital tuning.
3. It has cw/ssb

* The dual-conversion gets rid of annoying images that are found in
the cheaper models.
* The digital tuning is quick and convenient as are the memories.
* The cw/ssb feature permits listening to the amateur radio stations,
and the cw
mode can be used to listen to weak and fading shortwave stations.
Adding the cw carrier and zero-beating will remove selective fading
and several types of distortion. Very useful in these times of
ionospheric disturbances. Useful even on medium wave.
The shortcomings of the cheaper sets will become quite obvious with
a little practice and leave you lusting for something better. You can
skip the first stage and avoid the aggravation.
Old April 14th 04, 07:19 AM
Gary

Frank wrote in message ...
I'm strictly a beginner / hobbyist, wondering which purchase you pros
would recommend:

Option 1: Got an ad in my latest Sears Canada bill selling two Grundig
radios for CAD$ 149.99. You get both the S350 and the Mini 100PE.
Purchasing both elsewhere would cost me $149.99 + $39.99.

Option 2: Grundig YB400PE for CAD $199

Is the quality of the YB400PE better enough to warrant passing on the
Sears 2-for-1 offer?

Thanks in advance!

- Frank

I have both the YB400 and the S350. The YB400 has true digital tuning
with presents and a good stable signal. The S350 is analog with
digital readout and does drift somewhat. Reception wise, they are
both quite similar. The S350 has a much better sound and near a zero
noise level on shortwave where the YB400 has a hissing sound noise
level on SW. I find myself using the S350 much more than the YB400.
They are both good radios. With a noise level so low on the S350 it
is easier to listen to the weaker stations. The two bandwidths on
both radios are good but I have found the narrow bandwidth on the S350
a little narrower yet still produces good sound. I found the Mini 100
to be worthless to me as it was too hard to tune, and reception was
weak.

Old April 14th 04, 07:30 PM
RHF

= = = (Gary) wrote in message
= = = . com...
Frank wrote in message ...
[...]

GA,

I would agree with your assessment of all three Grundig Radios.

I would also add these reasons why I prefer the Grundig S350
"Super Radio" Tecsun BCL-2000 as my main 'portable' radio.
* Price, Features and Preformance of the Radio.
* The 'physical size' of the Radio.
* The lay out of the 'controls' of the radio.
* Plus the 'audio' Sound Quality of the radio.
Make it an Enjoyable 'portable' Radio to Listen To and Fun to Use.

jm2cw ~ RHF
..
Grundig S350 "Super Radio" Tecsun BCL-2000 eGroup on YAHOO !
GS350=
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S350/
..
Old April 14th 04, 07:45 PM
Frank

In Canada , Durham Radio sells the Kaito if you decide to go with it.
They have a site on the internet.
I have had a number of dealings with these folks and they are
good to deal with.
Bob

Thanks Bob - I looked on their web site but didn't see Kaito or Degen on
their home page's "We stock the following brands" list (at
http://www.durhamradio.com/). But you're right - a search for Kaito
found it at http://www.durhamradio.com/ka1102.htm