Old May 3rd 04, 02:52 PM
Panzer240

Drifter wrote in :

sorry if this is on topic here. all my sw radios
are in my hobby/computer room. after j.lighting
last night, i started to power down computer, etc.
portable radio/ using it's whip, was last to be
turned off. computer off/ modem and linksys-(besfr-41),
are on their own strip. if i'm away from computer, for
more than a few hours, everything gets turned off. as
i switched off the router i noticed the static on the
radio drop to almost nil. pulled the plug on modem and
router for testing. router causes the static...router is
inline for DSL. not a wireless. does not use a wall wort,
has an inline switching p.s. ;about half way up the cord.
anyone ever notice this before? always had static here,
not too bad, would like to stop it. anyone have a comment
on this? i will not get online without the router. i'm
posting to the linksys ng about this next. (i really don't
expect any help there). anyone?
thanks...
Drifter...

Yep I have the same thing here with a befsr41. Disconnecting the power
causes a really significant drop in noise level on ALL my receivers. IT
appears to be a combination of hash from the power supply and rf radiated
by the router's internal electronics. I emailed linksys about it but never
received an acknowledgemnet of the message or any type of reply.

Unfortunately, I have been so busy of late that I have not persued it
further. The lack of a response from the company, leads me to believe I
should also be evaluating other hardware to perform my NAT/ROuting tasks.
I would be very interested to hear what others a re using and how they
find them from a SWL/HAM point of view.

--
Panzer