Old May 3rd 04, 02:44 PM
Drifter

Default (OT)- static- linksys router?

sorry if this is on topic here. all my sw radios
are in my hobby/computer room. after j.lighting
last night, i started to power down computer, etc.
portable radio/ using it's whip, was last to be
turned off. computer off/ modem and linksys-(besfr-41),
are on their own strip. if i'm away from computer, for
more than a few hours, everything gets turned off. as
i switched off the router i noticed the static on the
radio drop to almost nil. pulled the plug on modem and
router for testing. router causes the static...router is
inline for DSL. not a wireless. does not use a wall wort,
has an inline switching p.s. ;about half way up the cord.
anyone ever notice this before? always had static here,
not too bad, would like to stop it. anyone have a comment
on this? i will not get online without the router. i'm
posting to the linksys ng about this next. (i really don't
expect any help there). anyone?
thanks...
Drifter...
Old May 3rd 04, 02:52 PM
Panzer240

Drifter wrote in :

[...]

Yep I have the same thing here with a befsr41. Disconnecting the power
causes a really significant drop in noise level on ALL my receivers. IT
appears to be a combination of hash from the power supply and rf radiated
by the router's internal electronics. I emailed linksys about it but never
received an acknowledgemnet of the message or any type of reply.

Unfortunately, I have been so busy of late that I have not persued it
further. The lack of a response from the company, leads me to believe I
should also be evaluating other hardware to perform my NAT/ROuting tasks.
I would be very interested to hear what others a re using and how they
find them from a SWL/HAM point of view.

--
Panzer

Old May 3rd 04, 03:57 PM
David

I had the same problem. I replaced the LinkSys with a D-Link and all
the interference went away.

Old May 3rd 04, 04:23 PM
Brother Pharts-a-Lot

"Drifter" wrote in message
sorry if this is on topic here. all my sw radios
are in my hobby/computer room. after j.lighting
last night, i started to power down computer, etc.
portable radio/ using it's whip, was last to be
turned off. computer off/ modem and linksys-(besfr-41),
are on their own strip. if i'm away from computer, for
more than a few hours, everything gets turned off. as
i switched off the router i noticed the static on the
radio drop to almost nil.

Seen/heard this many times. Problem is usually a noisy power
supply. Take the PC Board out of it's case, spray the insided
case with conductive or metallic chrome spray paint, let dry, and
re-assemble unit. Another trick is to put the router inside
a metal Bud box. Shielding is the cure here

Old May 3rd 04, 11:15 PM
Chris Smolinski

I've found significant QRM from routers and ethernet cable as well. I've
finally decided to pitch as much of it as I can, and am switching to
802.11b wireless networking, with the cablemodem and wireless router
tucked away in the basement. I've eliminated one long ethernet run
already, with a noticable reduction in QRM on HF.

Old May 4th 04, 01:23 AM
Drifter

and the d-link is quiet? does it work as well
as the linky? i'm going to do a few test her
to find out if it's the unit or the power supply.
thanks for the reply's, one and all...
Drifter...
Old May 4th 04, 02:35 PM
lsmyer

When I installed my wireless network, I was getting a whole lot of radio
noise, some on MW, but most on FM. So one night, I started unplugging stuff,
and much to my surprise, it was my cable modem (Motorola Surfboard SB4200)
making all the noise. My Linksys Wireless Router (BEFW11S4) seems to be RF
free, at least on MW, FM, and SW.

Old May 5th 04, 03:24 PM
David

The D-Link seems to be an all-around better device.

I would never broadcast my internet activity on a wireless link. I
know too many hackers.

On Tue, 04 May 2004 00:23:44 GMT, Drifter wrote:

and the d-link is quiet? does it work as well
as the linky? i'm going to do a few test her
to find out if it's the unit or the power supply.
thanks for the reply's, one and all...
Drifter...

question re GE Superadio III static ronaug Dx 2 December 10th 04 03:55 PM
question re GE Superadio III static ronaug Dx 0 December 9th 04 03:40 PM
Road static? John Smith Antenna 19 January 11th 04 03:55 PM
FM Reception Static Problem mBird Shortwave 10 October 19th 03 04:43 PM
Wireless Router & Receiver Noise ? Robert11 Shortwave 4 August 21st 03 02:10 AM