Old May 10th 04, 03:39 PM
Diverd4777

MossadAgent86:

I have had excellent luck using a Radio Shack Loop antenna and a Sangean 606A;

- ALSO, I have picked up 770 WABC ( N.Y.C. AM Station)
Way down in the Bahamas, on Andros Island, with a $29/95 Short Wave radio and
~15 feet of wire antenna... ( very Quiet ( & relaxing !) Environment)

So if your serious about A.M. reception,
Big, directional antennas & any reasonable radio seem to be the way to go

Dan

Subject: Best AM Reception
From: "el lector se guarda"
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 07:16:28 -0700

Take a look at the GE Super Radio and the CCrane Radios -- URL's:
http://www.ccrane.com/radios_and_antennas_index.asp

http://www.ccrane.com/ge_super_3.asp

Some antenna accesories there also
http://www.ccrane.com/am_antennas.asp
--
el lector se guarda

Amateur Radio is the best back-up
communications system in the world,
and that's the way it is. Walter Cronkite

"MossadAgent86" wrote in message
I want to rant a short while and then ask a question about AM reception.

Years ago (I think) all radio's had superheterodyne circuits which allowed

for
great sensitivity and selectivity. I figured that, for all time, all

radio's
would be superhet circuitry. Now the modern AM radio's I buy are all crap,

esp
car radio's. They can not pull in stations, for nothing.

What modern (new or used) AM radio can I buy that can pull in distant

stations?
Is there a way to boast the strength of a common AM radio (by placing a

pipe
alongside it...or some such)? Lately, I buy cheap (old transistor) radio's

at
yard sales, hoping that some of them will have good AM reception. Very few

do
have.