Old May 10th 04, 03:39 PM
Diverd4777

MossadAgent86:

I have had excellent luck using a Radio Shack Loop antenna and a Sangean 606A;

- ALSO, I have picked up 770 WABC ( N.Y.C. AM Station)
Way down in the Bahamas, on Andros Island, with a $29/95 Short Wave radio and
~15 feet of wire antenna... ( very Quiet ( & relaxing !) Environment)

So if your serious about A.M. reception,
Big, directional antennas & any reasonable radio seem to be the way to go

Dan

Subject: Best AM Reception
From: "el lector se guarda"
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 07:16:28 -0700

Take a look at the GE Super Radio and the CCrane Radios -- URL's:
http://www.ccrane.com/radios_and_antennas_index.asp

http://www.ccrane.com/ge_super_3.asp

Some antenna accesories there also
http://www.ccrane.com/am_antennas.asp
--
el lector se guarda

Amateur Radio is the best back-up
communications system in the world,
and that's the way it is. Walter Cronkite

"MossadAgent86" wrote in message
I want to rant a short while and then ask a question about AM reception.

Years ago (I think) all radio's had superheterodyne circuits which allowed

for
great sensitivity and selectivity. I figured that, for all time, all

radio's
would be superhet circuitry. Now the modern AM radio's I buy are all crap,

esp
car radio's. They can not pull in stations, for nothing.

What modern (new or used) AM radio can I buy that can pull in distant

stations?
Is there a way to boast the strength of a common AM radio (by placing a

pipe
alongside it...or some such)? Lately, I buy cheap (old transistor) radio's

at
yard sales, hoping that some of them will have good AM reception. Very few

do
have.

Old May 10th 04, 11:46 PM
Grumpus

(Diverd4777) wrote in message ...

Some older models people on this newsgroup swear by are the GE 780, a
monster portable AM radio with a huge chrome grill like a 50's Caddy,
the legendary Panasonic 2200, the Sony 2010, the Panasonic 1150, and
the GE Superadio(s) I and II. Radios which are still available which
people like for broadcast band DXing are the GE Superadio III, the
Palstar R30, the Drake R8B which people go into raptures over, and for
quasi-DXing, the surprisingly good pocket radio, the Sangean DT-200V.

Regards,

Grumpus

Old May 11th 04, 06:44 AM
GO BEARCATS

I could get strong, clear programming
on the CCRadio that I could hardly hear on the other two radios.

Compare it with a GE P-780 ;-)

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/*SUPER*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+Howell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
500ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Sloper
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*

Old May 11th 04, 06:34 AM
GO BEARCATS

Some older models people on this newsgroup swear by are the GE 780, a
monster portable AM radio with a huge chrome grill like a 50's Caddy,

LOL......you know it baby, make that a GE P-780. ;-) You own one, you'll know
why.

For the newer ones in here. Get you one of them (I can't believe how cheap they
go for) and get you a loop and lazt susan turntable and you have a *SERIOUS*
BCB setup.

BIGGER the loop, the better. I have a nice 30X30 mounted on the back of my
table with mine and it's sweet. Here's a few links to take a look at.
http://www.transistor.org/collection/ge/ge14.html

http://www.transistor.org/feature/jutson/details.html

Old May 11th 04, 06:39 AM
GO BEARCATS

Some older models people on this newsgroup swear by are the GE 780, a
monster portable AM radio with a huge chrome grill like a 50's Caddy,
the legendary Panasonic 2200, the Sony 2010, the Panasonic 1150, and

************rest of good ones snipped*******

You forgot the dynamic duo of the Hammarlund HQ129X coupled with the Heathkit Q
Multiplier, that's a BCB duo to be reckoned with,

I'm not saying that because I own it either, I read numerous times that phrase
and heard it did just as well on the shortwave bands especially with the
*Q*.....that's why I made sure I was gonna win that auction no matter. ;-)