Old August 26th 04, 03:29 PM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"Darrell Gordon W4CX" wrote in message
Group..I've just discovered this group (what took me so long?) and am
impressed with the knowledge here. I am shopping for an antenna
analyzer and am stymied by the choices (or lack thereof). In all of
hamdom (sub $600), I only find MFJ, Autek, AEA wireless, and Kuranishi
to choose from. I've checked eham reviews and found that the AEA VIA
(not Bravo) rates highest...and most expensive. Probably worth it.
Unfortunately, it's only good to 54Mhz, and I'd need up to 450Mhz. I
know this is impossible, and would be willing to go with separate
units (Autek), but they have awful reviews quality.

My question: What are you guys using for HF measurements? What about
V/UHF measurements? Do you recommend any particular model? How about
used HP gear from ebay (yes, I know the risks). V/UHF is my priority
since I'm building some copper loops for 6 and 2. What say you sage
antenna gurus?
Darrell W4CX

Hi Darrell
guru, schmuru
you will find the gamut of experience and education here, though
as well as some amazing flame wars
I have the MFJ with 450 and it works OK
Only measures SWR on 450.
It's not a laboratory instrument, but I have used it for years and it gets
the job done.
Priceless for setting up the HF mobile.
I have no comparative experience except with an old General Radio bridge in
my AM radio days decades ago.
73
H.
NQ5H