Old May 12th 04, 06:26 PM
Mark Zenier

m II wrote in message news:inQnc.21122$F04.2950@clgrps13...
LW wrote:
(RHF) wrote ...

The Rich and Powerful Man can Buy the Men with the Guns.

So sad but so true.

Jacob and Esau cut a deal over a bowl of soup.

We can be bought for less in too many cases.

Soup? Nope.

If memory serves, it was Esau selling his birthright to Jacob for a bowl
of porridge.

In today's world it may well be re-phrased as:

USA Selling it's Birthright to Halliburton for a Bowl of Oil

==================================
Porridge seems to play an important part in literature. Note how, many
centuries later, a certain 'Goldielocks' did a break and enter to steal
this stuff from three innocent bears, who had gone out to commune with
nature. Then 'she' trashed their sleeping quarters...

Doing a string search on a Gutenberg project Bible file, comes up with
"A pottage of lentiles". Pottage is best described as bean stew as it's
a lot thicker than soup. Lentils are those little flat flying saucer
shaped peas. The old world before Columnbus didn't have what we call
beans, but they did have Fava beans, chick peas/garbanzos, peas and
lentils. And something else called pluses which contain a neurotoxin
and were outlawed, except that they're still grown and used as food in
poor parts of India, where the rich landlords can get away with feeding
the peasants poisoned food.

(Sorry, just a diversion. My killfile left me with only 92 postings
out of 359).

Mark Zenier