Old May 21st 04, 07:52 AM
DK

No, an IC-R70 never dies !
Can you tell us more this "rotary encoder failure"?
I remember I've had a problem with my IC-R70 some years ago: erratic VFO
tuning and/or skips when changing bands, the least-significants digit din't
increment smoothly when turning the VFO knob very slowly. I could fix the
failure very easily because the rotary encoder what dirty.
Are the symptoms similar on yours?
And the "loss of signal" ? is is on all bands ? It could be the open RF fuse
F1 located at the antenna jack. Has your rig got an RF overload through the
antenna jack ? Some mixer FETs on RF unit have maybe to be replaced
Drop us a line
Hope it can help you
-

D. KREMP
49:03:31N / 1:26:14W - Normandy / France
dominique dot kremp at wanadoo dot fr

Rx:
-IC-R70 + POCOM PFC-100 + KIWA audio mods
-IC-R71E + ESKAB-Edvis PLAM unit / 4 kHz X9MD + FL44A + KIWA audio mods +
WILLCO ICM 1024 B
-Grundig Satellit 600 Prof. /Satellit 700
Ant:
-DATONG AD 370
-DRESSLER ARA 30
-LW 25 m + mod. FRT 7700

YODAR wrote:
What kind of service costs am I to expect with rotary encoder failure
and accompanying (apparent) loss of signal

Does AES have a SERVICE DEPT. or am I better sending it to ICOM?

Yodar