Old May 18th 04, 09:06 PM
YODAR

Default ICOM R-70 dies

What kind of service costs am I to expect with rotary encoder failure
and accompanying (apparent) loss of signal

Does AES have a SERVICE DEPT. or am I better sending it to ICOM?

Yodar
Old May 18th 04, 09:38 PM
uncle arnie

On Tue, 18 May 2004 02:06 pm -0600 UTC, YODAR posted:
%MM

What kind of service costs am I to expect with rotary encoder failure
and accompanying (apparent) loss of signal

Does AES have a SERVICE DEPT. or am I better sending it to ICOM?

Yodar

Icom will depend on what country you live in. Over-border shipping can
attract duties on total cost of the radio b/c it has been "improved" in the
eyes of customs. Best bet is to phone them. Icom America are quite
pleasant on the phone and if you get a knowledgeable guy, will tell you
alot of info informally.
--
-UA

Old May 20th 04, 10:22 PM
YODAR

I dont have $500 bux. This is a third owner R-70 and it has served me
well , albeit briefly for a modest cost

yodar

patgkz wrote:

Scrap it and buy a new R-75

om...

Old May 21st 04, 07:52 AM
DK

No, an IC-R70 never dies !
Can you tell us more this "rotary encoder failure"?
I remember I've had a problem with my IC-R70 some years ago: erratic VFO
tuning and/or skips when changing bands, the least-significants digit din't
increment smoothly when turning the VFO knob very slowly. I could fix the
failure very easily because the rotary encoder what dirty.
Are the symptoms similar on yours?
And the "loss of signal" ? is is on all bands ? It could be the open RF fuse
F1 located at the antenna jack. Has your rig got an RF overload through the
antenna jack ? Some mixer FETs on RF unit have maybe to be replaced
Drop us a line
Hope it can help you
-

D. KREMP
49:03:31N / 1:26:14W - Normandy / France
dominique dot kremp at wanadoo dot fr

Rx:
-IC-R70 + POCOM PFC-100 + KIWA audio mods
-IC-R71E + ESKAB-Edvis PLAM unit / 4 kHz X9MD + FL44A + KIWA audio mods +
WILLCO ICM 1024 B
-Grundig Satellit 600 Prof. /Satellit 700
Ant:
-DATONG AD 370
-DRESSLER ARA 30
-LW 25 m + mod. FRT 7700