Old May 24th 04, 07:34 AM
Rick Frazier

Jim:

I looked for quite awhile, but finally bought a Ham transceiver and installed it in
my truck. It covers all of the shortwave bands, and as a bonus, can also transmit
on the Ham bands. The one I got was a Yaesu FT857, but there are comparable radios
made by Icom and others. These "mini sized" full output radios could probably fit
in the dash location of a lot of cars, but I mounted mine under the passenger seat,
with the remote head on a bracket just behind the gearshift lever. Makes it easy to
tune while driving down the road, without stretching or bending.... I've tuned from
below broadcast band through 50mhz. Each band and mode has settable spacing, but I
don't know if it has Synchronous Detection on AM.... It still does a great job
cruising down the road. I typically listen to New Zealand radio on the way to work,
and Ham bands on the way home.

Just another option to consider if you want decent receiver sensitivity and wide
input frequency range.

--Rick

James Boyk wrote:

Sorry to ask what must be a perennial question, but is a car radio now available
for US market which will get me here on the west coast the big international
stations (Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, BBC)? Along with FM and
10k-spaced AM? And preferably with selectable sideband and synchronous
detection, like on my Sony 2010 at home? (Having lived with these features, I
don't see why anyone would make a receiver without them.) And, ideally, with CD
player also?

But I'd take just the SW part of all this, if it could be wired into the car
system. ('94 Mercury Villager)

Thanks,

Jim Boyk
http://www.performancerecordings.com