Old May 26th 04, 08:08 AM
starman

Location29 wrote:

I'm about as amateur as you can get and I have just
got my hands on a Sangean ATS-803A radio.
I was unable to receive any stations in shortwave,
only static and faint voices UNTIL I put my hand
on the antenna. In doing so I receive many stations
clearly. Is my antenna bad ??
Thanks for any responses to this question.

Mark

The Sangean ATS-803 or Realistic DX-400 was one of the better portables
from the 80's. It should work quite well on the whip if you're not
inside a metal frame building. Make sure the antenna switch on the back
is set for the whip. Also check that the RF gain control is turned all
the way on for best sensitivity. Try connecting a few yards/meters of
wire to the external antenna connector on the back and set the antenna
switch to 'external'. If it works much better, there may be a problem
with the whip circuit.

What frequencies were you trying to hear and what time of day?