Old May 26th 04, 05:32 AM
Location29

Default This is probably a dumb question...

I'm about as amateur as you can get and I have just
got my hands on a Sangean ATS-803A radio.
I was unable to receive any stations in shortwave,
only static and faint voices UNTIL I put my hand
on the antenna. In doing so I receive many stations
clearly. Is my antenna bad ??
Thanks for any responses to this question.

Mark

Old May 26th 04, 08:08 AM
starman

Location29 wrote:

I'm about as amateur as you can get and I have just
got my hands on a Sangean ATS-803A radio.
I was unable to receive any stations in shortwave,
only static and faint voices UNTIL I put my hand
on the antenna. In doing so I receive many stations
clearly. Is my antenna bad ??
Thanks for any responses to this question.

Mark

The Sangean ATS-803 or Realistic DX-400 was one of the better portables
from the 80's. It should work quite well on the whip if you're not
inside a metal frame building. Make sure the antenna switch on the back
is set for the whip. Also check that the RF gain control is turned all
the way on for best sensitivity. Try connecting a few yards/meters of
wire to the external antenna connector on the back and set the antenna
switch to 'external'. If it works much better, there may be a problem
with the whip circuit.

What frequencies were you trying to hear and what time of day?

Old May 26th 04, 12:02 PM
RHF

MARK,

Why not try one of the Roll-Up (Reel) Antenna's that you simply Plug
into your Sangean ATS-803A, or Clip-On-To the Radio's Whip Antenna.

SANGEAN "ANT-60" 'portable' Roll-Up Shortwave Antenna will improve
the reception of any 'portable' WorldBand Receiver. The Antenna
Wire may be 'extended' up to 23 Feet (7 m). The Sangean ANT-60
terminates with a 1/8" Mono-Mini-Plug (3.5 mm).
NOTE: If your receiver does not have a 1/8" Mini-Jack for the
External Antenna; an Adapter Plug is provided to 'clip' the
Sangean ANT-60 to your Radio's Whip Antenna.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3184.html
http://usa.shortwavestore.com/sangean-ant60.html#order

Or - Check your local RadioShack for "Portable Shortwave Antenna"
Catalog #278-1374.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=278-1374

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = ...

Old May 26th 04, 03:27 PM
Location29

Thanks for your suggestions for better reception.
Actually I was very satisfied with reception ONLY when I had my hand on the
antenna but I guess what you're saying is that the whip antenna just
isn't that good and I should try an external.
I was listening in the mid-evening hours in a wood
frame building to no particular station, just
scanning the dial.
Thanks!

Mark

I have a dumb question about antenna building [email protected] Antenna 23 January 16th 05 11:39 PM
Dumb question maybe - how to mount an antenna? Unigamer Scanner 7 December 7th 04 11:41 PM
Dumb Question Dept. - Antenna Angle Zachary Taylor Antenna 14 December 6th 04 12:22 AM
Dumb question? Jim Leder Antenna 8 September 23rd 04 10:04 PM
Dumb question 'bout signal routing (RF) Paul Burridge Homebrew 0 October 13th 03 02:05 PM