Old September 5th 04, 12:44 AM
Dave Shrader

ku4yp wrote:
i have a question.

in reference to station grounding, i have read keep the grounding strap
as short as possible and not a multiple of a resonant length on the ham
bands. with that in mind, even if i ground pieces of equipment to individual
ground rods, won't the complete grounding system be long? in my mind i am
looking around the room and seeing a grounding system being at least 12 feet
long, if i go along the perimeter of the desks (which are in a "U" shape in
the room.

W1MCE replies:

I have used a 1/2 inch copper pipe mounted along the back edge of the
table[s] holding my station equipment.

The case of each piece of equipment is connected directly to the copper
pipe using 1 inch braided strap about 6 to 12 inches long depending on
equipment size. This pipe provides an equipotential plane for all my
equipment. [Another method would be to install a thin copper sheath on
top of your desk/tables and connect directly to it for the equipotential
plane.]

Now, how to connect the equipotential plane to brown dirt [earth] is the
next issue. You are correct that it is desirable to keep this
'non-resonant' on the bands you operate. There are two issues here that
need to be addressed. First, if you are close to the earth ground then a
simple #6 AWG wire to a ground rod is adequate. Second, if you are
higher than 1/4 wavelength at the highest frequency of interest use two
#6 AWG wires OF DIFFERENT LENGTHS, not harmonically related, connected
to the ground rod. The different lengths assure that the equivalent
connection is NOT RESONANT.

In very fortunate cases an additional station ground is not required!
Believe it or not! ... My station is located on the ground floor in the
family [my] TV room right under the electrical distribution panel. My
120 VAC line comes directly from the service entrance through about 3
feet of wire. The 240 VAC for my amplifier comes directly from the
service entrance through 4 feet of wire. The service box is 'earthed' by
a NEC compliant connection. My connections to the service box are
therefore very short.

A major point of caution is required. The NEC requires ONLY ONE ground
connection. Multiple ground connections introduce VERY SERIOUS ground
loops that may violate the NEC criteria. This opens a VERY LARGE loop
hole in your home owner's insurance policy. If you are adding a second
earth [ground] connection at your station use an isolation transformer
to break up the ground loops in the basic 120 VAC connection. Consult
with an electrician regarding your local and NEC codes.

It is noted that station grounding and antenna counterpoise construction
are two different things. I am not addressing the counterpoise issue.