Old June 11th 04, 05:44 AM
James Boyk

Installed this afternoon.

The part I was most concerned about--the basic RF performance--seems quite good:
We've picked up several stations solidly enough to listen for pleasure. And
ignition noise is not obtrusive.

BUT--

It BADLY needs synchronous detection and selectable sideband; and of course
should automatically and dynamically choose the better sideband. (That Sony--the
only company with effective synch. detection and selectable s/b inexpensive
enough to put into cheap portables--DOESN'T put it in a car radio is inexplicable.)

AUDIO quality is very odd: smooth but fatiguing, as though there's lots of
crossover distortion. This is already a major negative for me already. I did
assume that we'd be getting a decent amplification system. Not super-powerful,
not fabulous; but up to basic standards of fidelity. I wonder if the unit (it's
the Sony XR-CA620X) has a line out so I could install a better amplifier (if
such is available, AND IF the signal at the line out isn't already spoiled).

DISPLAY is absurdly busy and distracting; like a self-parody. And it doesn't dim
when I dim dash lights; I'm hoping this is just a miswiring.

Paul Bauer wrote:
Looking forward to your report.