Old June 7th 04, 08:24 PM
James Boyk

Default Sony 620X vs. 640 car SW

Anyone know the diff. between Sony's 620X and 640 car models?

James Boyk

Old June 8th 04, 01:05 AM
Don Brady

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 12:24:33 -0700, James Boyk
wrote:

Anyone know the diff. between Sony's 620X and 640 car models?

James Boyk

I found the following thread at
http://www.radio-forum.com/shortwave...ve_337644.html

radio-forum.com
Promoting radio discussion.

Main
Date: 10 Nov 2003 14:49:52
From: Alan Smithee
Subject: CAR STEREO - Shortwave

This may have been discussed earlier, and if so I apologize.

I've been thinking of installing a AM/FM/SWL receiver in my car and
there's precious little info out there on the subject. Understandable
I suppose considering everything's going digital.

I did come across this Sony model: XR-CA620X AM/FM/Shortwave Cassette
Car Stereo that's even available here in Canada.

I was just wondering if anyone on this group has had any experience
with this model... or others, for that matter.

Thanks in advance.

Date: 11 Nov 2003 02:46:29
From: David

I bought a Sony XR-4950 AM/FM/SW from Jacky's in Dubai and it works great in
my car. You shouldn't have a problem with the CA-620X.

Date: 10 Nov 2003 23:23:49
From: Robert Sillett

I bought the XR-CA640X from Jacky's about four months ago. I think the 640
is slightly higher-end than the 620 you mention in that one can attach XM
Radio, CD/MP3, etc. to it.

I am very happy with the radio. It's not a DX machine, but it's great for
listening to the regular broadcasters. I have a little write-up of the
radio on my web site:
http://www.sillett.us.eu.org/radio/s...l#sonyxrca640x

Bob

Date: 11 Nov 2003 15:19:30
From: Alan Smithee

Many thanks for this, Bob. It's exactly what I was looking for.
Cheers!

Date: 12 Nov 2003 16:17:57
From: Jim

I have one, it works OK, but has serious frequency gaps for
out of band stations, got it from Jacky's in Dubai. Going to
rig up another portable.

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:23:49 -0500, "Robert Sillett"
wrote:

I bought the XR-CA640X from Jacky's about four months ago. I think the 640
is slightly higher-end than the 620 you mention in that one can attach XM
Radio, CD/MP3, etc. to it.

I am very happy with the radio. It's not a DX machine, but it's great for
listening to the regular broadcasters. I have a little write-up of the
radio on my web site:
http://www.sillett.us.eu.org/radio/s...l#sonyxrca640x

Bob

.. .

Date: 13 Nov 2003 10:46:13
From: Robert Sillett

What "serious gaps" are you talking about? The XR-CA640X receives:

2940 - 7735 kHz
9500 - 10140 kHz
11575 - 18135 kHz

It receives all the whacko American broadcasters that broadcast in the 7500
and 7600 kHz range.

The only major ommissions are the extreme lower part of the 31m band and the
13m band. While I do miss the 13m band, it doesn't really matter too much
because we're in the bottom half of the sunspot cycle. And since I almost
never receive 120m at home, I'm not too worried about trying to DX ABC Alice
Springs on 2310 kHz in the car!

I don't understand why you would use a portable since you already have the
XR-CA640X. What can't you receive?

Bob

wrote:

I bought the XR-CA640X from Jacky's about four months ago. I think the

640
is slightly higher-end than the 620 you mention in that one can attach XM
Radio, CD/MP3, etc. to it.

I am very happy with the radio. It's not a DX machine, but it's great

for
listening to the regular broadcasters. I have a little write-up of the
radio on my web site:
http://www.sillett.us.eu.org/radio/s...l#sonyxrca640x

Bob

.. .

Date: 11 Nov 2003 15:16:35
From: Alan Smithee

Thanks David. Jacky's is quite the place, apparently. A friend
visited the store -- warehouse is more like it! -- when she was in
Dubai last year. Too bad I didn't think of this then.

Date: 12 Nov 2003 12:42:39
From: Larry Weil

In article ,
Alan Smithee wrote:

I did come across this Sony model: XR-CA620X AM/FM/Shortwave Cassette
Car Stereo that's even available here in Canada.

Where in is this available? Is it at a place that does mail-order to
the US, or at one of the retail chains?

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

Date: 12 Nov 2003 16:47:03
From: Alan Smithee

I found it online at www.shortwavestore.com. They're in Whitby,
Ontario near Toronto.

I e-mailed them for confirmation, but haven't received any response.
We'll see. I'll post whatever correspondence I get in return.

In article , Larry Weil

Old June 10th 04, 09:05 PM
James Boyk

I bought the XR-CA620X from Canada; having it installed today. Will report on
performance. This is rather exciting, as I've wanted SW in car for a very long
time; hesitated because I had no idea how inexpensive it now is.

James Boyk

Old June 11th 04, 05:44 AM
James Boyk

Installed this afternoon.

The part I was most concerned about--the basic RF performance--seems quite good:
We've picked up several stations solidly enough to listen for pleasure. And
ignition noise is not obtrusive.

BUT--

It BADLY needs synchronous detection and selectable sideband; and of course
should automatically and dynamically choose the better sideband. (That Sony--the
only company with effective synch. detection and selectable s/b inexpensive
enough to put into cheap portables--DOESN'T put it in a car radio is inexplicable.)

AUDIO quality is very odd: smooth but fatiguing, as though there's lots of
crossover distortion. This is already a major negative for me already. I did
assume that we'd be getting a decent amplification system. Not super-powerful,
not fabulous; but up to basic standards of fidelity. I wonder if the unit (it's
the Sony XR-CA620X) has a line out so I could install a better amplifier (if
such is available, AND IF the signal at the line out isn't already spoiled).

DISPLAY is absurdly busy and distracting; like a self-parody. And it doesn't dim
when I dim dash lights; I'm hoping this is just a miswiring.

Paul Bauer wrote:
Looking forward to your report.

Old June 11th 04, 08:10 PM
James Boyk

I should alter the tone of my previous post. The RF capturing and
ignition-suppressing performance amazes me, frankly. The sound quality would not
bother most people, I imagine, though I confess it does bother me as noted. The
display can be a bit annoying, but it's not so bad as I portrayed it. I'm a bit
under the weather; maybe that's why the strong reactions previously.

James Boyk

Fixing a Sony ICF-SW7600GR Joe Negron Shortwave 4 April 24th 04 05:34 PM
Sony CFM-140S Al Arduengo Shortwave 3 April 10th 04 06:40 AM
Sony 7600 GR Reception of WGN Chicago (AM 720) Bob D Shortwave 16 September 14th 03 05:21 PM
Sony 7600GR Cell Phones and Amish The Dawn Soliloquy Shortwave 1 September 8th 03 01:59 PM