Old June 11th 04, 11:29 AM
Richard

That was an interesting post - it kind of leads me to think "what is the
future of shortwaving as a hobby?" A topic I am sure has been moved on this
group before

Richard, Warsaw

"Mike Terry" wrote in message
Radio Finland, the external service of the Finnish Broadcasting Company
(YLE), may close down its service on the shortwave and mediumwave bands.
This would leave external service programming available only via satellite
and on the Internet. The aim would be to cut expenses. Currently
distribution costs for Radio Finland total 3.4 million euros annually. YLE
Administrative Council is expected to decide the fate of shortwave later
this year. In 2002 (see DXing.info news in June and September 2002 as well
as a history of the cuts in the DXing.info Community) Radio Finland closed
down its services in English, German and French, while Finnish, Swedish

and
Russian programming continued on shortwave as well as for Northern Europe
also on the mediumwave band. A source at YLE tells DXing.info that

possible
lobbying from the part of DXers would only reduce the chances of remaining
on the air, because the only justification for shortwave is to serve
expatriate Finns, who number about 250.000. A decision to cut shortwave
would become easier if the station is viewed as serving primarily a fringe
audience of radio hobbyists.

(DXing.info, June 9, 2004)

http://www.dxing.info/news/index.dx#finland