Old June 24th 04, 05:47 PM
Ron Hardin

Alan wrote:

I just got my 7600gr, I was thinking of getting the Sony mains adapter for
it, but have read a few posts stating that these cause a hum/buzz on
SW,lw,mw, is this the case?, do you think I would be better off just using
batteries.
thanks
Alan

I use batteries in mine in spite of having the adapter. NiMH has gotten so good
that it's pointless to fuss with the adapter. Get 8 NiMH AA's and a good charger
and they're useful for other things too; use one set and then swap.

I like the Maha MH-C401FS which does 4 AA's or AAA's at a time, any mix, each
cell individually. I charge 8 batteries a day with mine on the average for other
purposes and the Sony contribution is only occasional.

You may find that a capacitive ground (like holding your hand on the radio)
improves sensitivity though if you don't use an adapter. It's the same problem
there used to be in constructing an artificial hand hovering near TV rabbit ears
antennas.
--
Ron Hardin