Old June 24th 04, 05:18 PM
Alan

Default Mains adapter for Sony7600GR

I just got my 7600gr, I was thinking of getting the Sony mains adapter for
it, but have read a few posts stating that these cause a hum/buzz on
SW,lw,mw, is this the case?, do you think I would be better off just using
batteries.
thanks
Alan

Old June 24th 04, 05:47 PM
Ron Hardin

Alan wrote:

I just got my 7600gr, I was thinking of getting the Sony mains adapter for
it, but have read a few posts stating that these cause a hum/buzz on
SW,lw,mw, is this the case?, do you think I would be better off just using
batteries.
thanks
Alan

I use batteries in mine in spite of having the adapter. NiMH has gotten so good
that it's pointless to fuss with the adapter. Get 8 NiMH AA's and a good charger
and they're useful for other things too; use one set and then swap.

I like the Maha MH-C401FS which does 4 AA's or AAA's at a time, any mix, each
cell individually. I charge 8 batteries a day with mine on the average for other
purposes and the Sony contribution is only occasional.

You may find that a capacitive ground (like holding your hand on the radio)
improves sensitivity though if you don't use an adapter. It's the same problem
there used to be in constructing an artificial hand hovering near TV rabbit ears
antennas.
--
Ron Hardin

Old June 24th 04, 07:57 PM
Pete

When I had mine, the biggest problem I had with it (the AC adapter) was that
on shortwave, it made the automatic band scanner stop at every single step
interval. You can imagine how frustrating it would be to scan the bands like
that. I don't know if there was something special about the lines in my
house, but, for SW, I always used the radio just on batteries.
Pierre

Old June 25th 04, 07:04 AM
Alan

"Alan" wrote in message
I just got my 7600gr, I was thinking of getting the Sony mains adapter

for
it, but have read a few posts stating that these cause a hum/buzz on
SW,lw,mw, is this the case?, do you think I would be better off just using
batteries.
thanks
Alan

Hi All
Batteries it is then :-))
thanks for your replies, it is appreciated
cheers
Alan

Old June 25th 04, 05:47 PM
Alan

"Mark" wrote in message
No, wait!!!

I have several Sony portables, but not the model you mention (7600D,

7600A,
2001D/2010, SW55). I (in New Zealand) also have the same Westminster

system
of power supply that you have in the UK, 240V phase-to-earth (415 volts
phase-to-phase), 50Hz. (I mention this because we have a

Mains-Earth-Neutral
setup, which USA does not, so other posters may be experiencing different
reasons for any interference or hum).

I use power supplies for all my radios, saves buying batteries all the

time.
Also, reception is better with the power supply hooked up (honestly, I

think
maybe I'm getting a better ground or something, but if you run on

batteries,
then plug in the power supply, the noise level drops).

One more point: some of my Sonys were supplied with a Sony power supply

and
some weren't. Don't bother buying a Sony power supply, they cost too much.
They will run perfectly well on a much cheaper multi-plug/multi-voltage
adapter you can buy quite cheaply. Never,ever had any noise problems.

Mark.

Hi
I have one of the type you mention (the multi-plug/volts etc) tried it out
on my Sony, but the hum was unbearable, That's why I thought the proper Sony
one might be better.
cheers
Alan

Old June 26th 04, 01:13 AM
RHF

= = = "Alan" wrote in message
= = = ...
"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

If you are having "Noise Problems" using an ACDC Adapter with
a 'portable' Shortwave Radio.

First "Test" your AC Power Outlets for proper wiring and Grounding.

Often an 'incorrectly wired' AC Outlet or 'poorly grounded' AC
Outlet can be the "Source" of many AC Noise related problems.

iane ~ RHF

..
Old June 26th 04, 10:06 AM
Alan

Snip Cut

ALAN,

If you are having "Noise Problems" using an ACDC Adapter with
a 'portable' Shortwave Radio.

First "Test" your AC Power Outlets for proper wiring and Grounding.

Often an 'incorrectly wired' AC Outlet or 'poorly grounded' AC
Outlet can be the "Source" of many AC Noise related problems.

iane ~ RHF

.

Cheers RHF, I shall test the adapter, but how do I check that the "ground"
is sufficient, or how can I improve it please.
Thanks
Alan

Old June 26th 04, 11:36 PM
RHF

= = = "Alan" wrote in message
= = = ...

Snip Cut

ALAN,

If you are having "Noise Problems" using an ACDC Adapter with
a 'portable' Shortwave Radio.

First "Test" your AC Power Outlets for proper wiring and Grounding.

Often an 'incorrectly wired' AC Outlet or 'poorly grounded' AC
Outlet can be the "Source" of many AC Noise related problems.

iane ~ RHF

.

Cheers RHF, I shall test the adapter, but how do I check that the "ground"
is sufficient, or how can I improve it please.
Thanks
Alan

ALAN,

In the USofA we can CHECK the AC Outlets for proper wiring with
an AC Outlet Tester.

A 'standard' Three-Light AC OutLet "Analyzer" is available from
any electric supply house. The Analyzer is small, simple, $6
device consists of three Neon Lamps /LEDs and the 'Standard' USofA
Three-Prong 15-Amp Plug all molded in to a signal compact unit.

When Analyser plugged into a three-receptacle outlet it can
determine several different OutLet Faults in an instant.

With the Analyzer, one can immediately tell if the AC OutLet is:
- has Power (is Energized),
- has Reversed Polarity,
- has a Disconnected Ground,
- or has a Disconnected Neutral.

RadioShack (USA) Catalog # 22-141
http://www.radioshack.com/
RadioShack (Canada) Catalog # 22-101
http://www.radioshack.ca/
AC-OUTLET-TESTER= http://tinyurl.com/yvleo

"Instant-Read" AC Outlet Circuit Tester
http://www.tripplite.com/products/static/ct120.cfm

"Test-Glo Circuit Tester" GFCI Outlet Tester by AW Sperry
http://www.inspectortools.com/gfciouttesbu.html

Alan - I would think that such a device would be available in the
UK for Testing your 'standard type' of 220V AC Power Outlets ?
It should be available from any electric supply house in the UK.

iane ~ RHF

..