Old July 4th 04, 06:57 PM
dxAce

Michael Bryant wrote:

From: "Alan"

My question is regarding a longwire antenna for it. I have put up a longwire
of about 130-foot (single wire plastic coated) fed direct to my Sony. I can
not seem to notice hardly any difference at all, I can hear everything on
the radios whip that I can hear on the longwire, although a lot more *white
noise/static* comes in with the longwire.
I have tried both methods of connecting it to the radio, 1-crocodile clip to
whip antenna and also longwire soldered to jack-plug and plugged into
SW-antenna jack.
Do you think I am doing something wrong? or does it make much difference as
I am in England UK and we seem to be able to pickup short-wave pretty good
anyway.

Yes, being in the UK should put you in a good location to receive most
broadcasts without the need for a longwire antenna. The antenna might be useful
if you ever attempt to pick up long-distance (DX), low-powered stations, but
for casual listening to major broadcasters the radio's antenna should suffice
in your specific location.

A bit different over here.

Yes, it is a bit different over here. You've got folks like Michael W. Bryant lying
their fat ass off at the drop of a hat!