Old July 4th 04, 07:47 PM
Alan

Default Sony 7600GR question

Hi all
I have bought myself a Sony 7600GR, which I am very pleased with.
My question is regarding a longwire antenna for it. I have put up a longwire
of about 130-foot (single wire plastic coated) fed direct to my Sony. I can
not seem to notice hardly any difference at all, I can hear everything on
the radios whip that I can hear on the longwire, although a lot more *white
noise/static* comes in with the longwire.
I have tried both methods of connecting it to the radio, 1-crocodile clip to
whip antenna and also longwire soldered to jack-plug and plugged into
SW-antenna jack.
Do you think I am doing something wrong? or does it make much difference as
I am in England UK and we seem to be able to pickup short-wave pretty good
anyway.
thanks
Alan

Old July 5th 04, 04:07 PM
Alan

Thanks Noel.
It appears that the USA has a lot more interference from other stations
being close together etc. I think we only have one short-wave station here
in the UK, BBC World-Service, maybe this is why we don't get much bleed-over
from other stations, in fact I don't get any.
regards
Alan

"Noel" wrote in message
On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 18:47:52 GMT, "Alan"
wrote:

My question is regarding a longwire antenna for it. I have put up a

longwire
of about 130-foot (single wire plastic coated) fed direct to my Sony. I

can
not seem to notice hardly any difference at all, I can hear everything on
the radios whip that I can hear on the longwire, although a lot more

*white
noise/static* comes in with the longwire.

It depends entirely on your location as to how much ambient noise is
picked up. If you are in a city, something like the AN-LP1 (the Sony
active loop antenna designed for the 7600G/GR) might be a good
investment, as it has the ability to reject some of the noise.

The long-wire might be useful if you use it in conjunction with the
attenuator switch on the left of the set, and adjusting the level of
attenuation. It *might* help you pull in stuff you might not
otherwise be able to.

Do you think I am doing something wrong? or does it make much difference

as
I am in England UK and we seem to be able to pickup short-wave pretty

good
anyway.

It is much the same here in Ireland. I live just outside a
medium-sized town, so noise is not much of a problem. However, the
longwire makes precious little difference to most of my listening, on
the 7600GR anyway. On the R8B, it is more useful.