Old July 11th 04, 04:10 PM
Bruce W.1

Corwin, Prince of Amber wrote:
New user. I know I may (hopefully not) get 9 angry replies and 1 who
understands my ignorance and will provide an articulate reponse, but
I'll take my chances.

So what if I invent my call sign, learn the lingo, and start using my
2M radio without jumping through all the hoops to get licensed. Does
anyone *really* care? Is 'big brother' really going to bust through
my front door with a SWAT team? Of the 1+ million HAM operators, how
many are actually fined each year for doing what I'm considering?

If I stick with it instead of packing the radio up and putting it next
to my photography equipment, I will get licensed, I promise.

Also, even if I *really do* need a license to transmit, I don't need a
license to turn the radio on and listen, do I?

Rick Bryan
New York, NY

Sure, go ahead. Give it a try.

There are hams that make it sport to track down guys like you. Radio
direction finding is great fun. I know of unlicensed people that were
nailed while driving down the highway. But these hams get bored when
everyone behaves. They could use a little excitement.

If you want to learn how they track people down then do a little
research on APRS. Two guys triangulating can pinpoint you in about a
minute.

But why be the hunted when you can be the hunter? Get licensed.