Old July 3rd 04, 01:43 PM
Dwight Stewart

"starman" wrote:

There's no doubt that ham's are in the
minority regarding BPL interference but
the FCC has a legal mandate to protect
licensed radio spectrum users, as the law
now stands. I suppose they'll change the
law to get around this legal inconvenience
for the BPL industry.

It's a balance, Starman. They also have a mandate to serve the public -
the whole public, not just some small part of it. And they are protecting
the us, the "licensed radio spectrum users," by providing us an opportunity
to voice our concerns and requiring the BPL industry to address those
concerns before approval is granted. That doesn't mean BPL is killed off
entirely simply because we hear noise on our frequencies. Instead, it means
that industry must take steps to minimize that. But, again, even that is a
balance between the overall benefits of BPL and our ability to use our
frequencies. Lets face it, balanced against the large numbers which may
benefit from BPL, we may have to accept some inconvenient noise on our
frequencies.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old July 3rd 04, 07:11 PM
no_spam_here

"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote in message ...
"no_spam_here" wrote in message
om...

Please point exactly where any part
of the FCC rules regarding Amateur Radio Service.

Part 97

And where in part 97 does it say anything about non amateur
interference and hams frequencies being protected.
Old July 3rd 04, 08:26 PM
Raqueeb Hassan

yes, HAM operators need license to operate. Otherwise things will be
in bad shape in airwave, totally out of reach ... you'll never
understand what other people says ... there should be a common lingo
..... you know what I mean.

raqueeb hassan
bangladesh
Old July 4th 04, 06:05 AM
Dwight Stewart

"no_spam_here" wrote:

Where is this legal mandate? The FCC has
no mandate as the Amateur Radio Service
is experimental in nature and they can't even
stop interference between the hams. (snip)

It is buried somewhere in Part One or Two of the FCC rules. It's a one
paragraph statement about preserving frequencies for intended use,
minimizing interference, and so on. Of course, it says nothing about Amateur
Radio specifically, but is a blanket statement about radio as a whole (which
would presumably include Amateur radio). Now, please don't ask me to point
it out, because I really do not feel like digging through all that to find
it again. This is my last day as an active Ham operator (my equipment is on
sale on eBay at this very moment - ending today), and would therefore rather
not waste my time with it at the moment.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old July 5th 04, 07:21 AM
Steve Silverwood

In article ,
says...
New user. I know I may (hopefully not) get 9 angry replies and 1 who
understands my ignorance and will provide an articulate reponse, but
I'll take my chances.

So what if I invent my call sign, learn the lingo, and start using my
2M radio without jumping through all the hoops to get licensed. Does
anyone *really* care? Is 'big brother' really going to bust through
my front door with a SWAT team? Of the 1+ million HAM operators, how
many are actually fined each year for doing what I'm considering?

If I stick with it instead of packing the radio up and putting it next
to my photography equipment, I will get licensed, I promise.

Also, even if I *really do* need a license to transmit, I don't need a
license to turn the radio on and listen, do I?

You need no license at all to listen. But yes, you do need one to
transmit. The FCC is taking a very dim view of unlicensed operation.
Until you have passed the examination and have a callsign duly issued to
you by the FCC, any transmissions you make will be illegal and will lead
to legal action by the FCC. If you decide to do so, be sure you have a
hefty surplus of cash -- the fines are up to $10,000 PER INCIDENT.

A ham license is not very difficult to obtain these days. You don't
even need to pass a Morse Code test, if you just want to get up on VHF
and higher frequencies (including the 2m band you mentioned) and talk
locally. Pick up a copy of the book, "Now You're Talking," from the
ARRL (
www.arrl.org) or through your local bookstore. It has all the
information you will need to pass the test.

For HF privileges, a five-words-per-minute Morse test is required at
this time. (Many countries are dropping the Morse requirement for HF
privileges, and it's entirely possible the US will follow suit in due
course.)

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:

Old July 7th 04, 12:16 AM
JJ

coustanis wrote:

"Corwin, Prince of Amber" wrote in message

New user. I know I may (hopefully not) get 9 angry replies and 1 who
understands my ignorance and will provide an articulate reponse, but
I'll take my chances.

So what if I invent my call sign, learn the lingo, and start using my
2M radio without jumping through all the hoops to get licensed. Does
anyone *really* care? Is 'big brother' really going to bust through
my front door with a SWAT team? Of the 1+ million HAM operators, how
many are actually fined each year for doing what I'm considering?

If I stick with it instead of packing the radio up and putting it next
to my photography equipment, I will get licensed, I promise.

Also, even if I *really do* need a license to transmit, I don't need a
license to turn the radio on and listen, do I?

Rick Bryan
New York, NY

You do not need a license to listen.
As far as transmitting, all I can say is that I have been running a
station for 25 years with no license and no one has figured it out yet.
I don't mean to sound rude here but the fact is that hams are a socially
challenged lot with no real social skills. Regardless of what
they tell you on this NG, they are so deprived of people to talk to that
they don't
care if you're licensed or not.
Just be sure to obay the rules and don't be an asshole on the airways.
If you can do those things, you will never be turned in.
As I said, I have been doing it for a very long time and have had no
problems.
Just enjoy yourself and learn.

Yea well if you want to listen to this guy go ahead, but you may want to
pay attention to this first.

ENFORCEMENT: NO LICENSE - DON’T OPERATE

The town of Reseda, California, is only about 10 miles from the Newsline
studio. It’s
also the place where the FCC alleges that someone has been operating a ham
radio transmitter
without the benefit of being a licensed ham.

In a letter to a resident identified as Joseph A. Mosbergen, the FCC
says that
he or someone
in his residence has been operating radio-transmitting equipment on
several Los
Angeles area
Two Meter Amateur Radio repeaters. The agency warns Mosbergen that this
is a
violation of
it rules and will subject him or whoever is proven to be operating to
punitive
action.
This could include a fine or imprisonment, as well as seizure of any
non-certified radio
transmitting equipment. It also tells Mosbergern that this is the last
warning
that he
will receive.

Old July 7th 04, 03:18 AM
GrtPmpkin32

So what if I invent my call sign, learn the lingo, and start using my
2M radio without jumping through all the hoops to get licensed.

In a letter to a resident identified as Joseph A. Mosbergen, the FCC
says that
he or someone
in his residence has been operating radio-transmitting equipment on
several Los
Angeles area
Two Meter Amateur Radio repeaters.

What I can't quite figure out is why he doesn't just go ahead and get his
ticket. To get onto 2 meters is like the easiest license class to get. Spend an
hour looking at a Now You're Talking book or even studying online fer cryin'
out loud, then take ten minutes to do the exam. No code needed, no headaches.
I'd understand (for the sake of the discussion) why someone *might* not want to
take the time to get a real license if they wanted to transmit on HF or on
Extra class bands, etc. Not that I condone that either, but at least that
requires code elements in the exam process. But 2 meter VHF and above? No
sweat.
That's like forging an I.D. just so you can vote. Just register and save the
headache of making the damn thing, and the prospect of getting caught and
fined.
Not that I'm a ham (no interest in talking back) but I love monitoring SW.
Just my useless 2 cents. I know it's been covered before.
Linus
Old July 10th 04, 09:26 AM
starman

Dwight Stewart wrote:

Look, I'm not trying to defend the BPL industry here, so don't jump on me
about it. Instead, I'm simply explaining the realities of the situation. I
limited my prior comments to ham operators because that was the discussion.
Yes, others have expressed concerns about BPL. But, again, without some very
specific problem for the FCC to hang it's hat on, it has no justification
whatsoever to stop BPL. Concerns expressed without substance simply isn't
enough if that industry can shown it has taken reasonable steps to minimize
problems where those concerns exist. When it comes specifically to the
relatively small number of ham operators, even superficial steps to minimize
problems is probably enough.

If a BPL system started operating in your area and you could no longer
use your amateur HF equipment because of the noise, would you be willing
to give it up for the sake of better Internet access for more people?

Old July 11th 04, 04:10 PM
Bruce W.1

Corwin, Prince of Amber wrote:
New user. I know I may (hopefully not) get 9 angry replies and 1 who
understands my ignorance and will provide an articulate reponse, but
I'll take my chances.

So what if I invent my call sign, learn the lingo, and start using my
2M radio without jumping through all the hoops to get licensed. Does
anyone *really* care? Is 'big brother' really going to bust through
my front door with a SWAT team? Of the 1+ million HAM operators, how
many are actually fined each year for doing what I'm considering?

If I stick with it instead of packing the radio up and putting it next
to my photography equipment, I will get licensed, I promise.

Also, even if I *really do* need a license to transmit, I don't need a
license to turn the radio on and listen, do I?

Rick Bryan
New York, NY

Sure, go ahead. Give it a try.

There are hams that make it sport to track down guys like you. Radio
direction finding is great fun. I know of unlicensed people that were
nailed while driving down the highway. But these hams get bored when
everyone behaves. They could use a little excitement.

If you want to learn how they track people down then do a little
research on APRS. Two guys triangulating can pinpoint you in about a
minute.

But why be the hunted when you can be the hunter? Get licensed.

ARRL Propose New License Class & Code-Free HF Access Lloyd Mitchell Antenna 43 October 26th 04 01:37 AM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement Scott Unit 69 Policy 9 August 1st 03 02:08 AM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement ROLDAIGNAULT CB 22 July 31st 03 12:54 AM