Old July 12th 04, 09:47 AM
Sanjaya

"DXZoner" wrote...
I just bought the Tecsun PL-230 recenty and was pleasently surprised. They
do offer a good product for the money. I have seen the 550, and it's very
nice. I just ordered the analog R-9000Dx it should be here this week. I was
thinking of buying the 550, but did not know if I wanted the Chinese
lettering. I'm not worried about the SSB, I have 4 other good poratbles that
do have it. Have fun with the new radio.

Hi DXZ.

The Tecsun PL-550 from Liypn comes with an English language manual
compiled by him, and a picture of the radio front panel re-labeled in
English. There is also a Yahoo group for the PL-550. Ulis and HongKongRadioer
at radiointel.com also put together an excellent picture of the radio labeled
in English. That picture is available at radiointel and in the Yahoo group files
folder.

As far as using it with Chinese lettering... it is similar in operation to the
Tecsun PL-230 (Grundig YB-550PE) and after going through the
procedures a few times with Liypn's manual and picture it becomes
intuitive... I don't even notice the Chinese lettering now.

The radio is worth lots more than it sells for, and with a sensitivity gain switch
and antenna trimmer knob it gives *excellent* SW reception. If it had SSB
it would be perfect.