Old July 11th 04, 08:01 PM
lsmyer

Default Tecsun PL-550

If any of you wants to try a cool radio, try the Tecsun PL-550. As far as
I'm concerned, it has just two negatives: no SSB and all the buttons are
labeled in Chinese. But once you get past that, it's a nice performer.

It took me about an hour to learn the operation, but it's pretty
straightforward, and I don't even think about its labeling any longer.

To me, the PL-550 is a winner. It has all the best features of the YB-400
(rich sound), the ICF-7600 (sensitivity and compact size), and the ATS909
(many memories and tuning knob). It is the exact size of the Sony, has the
sound of the Grundig, and has nearly double the memories of the Sangean.

Two different people are selling it on ebay: brochhi and liypn. Both appear
to be dependable. I got mine from Liypn, and he has been excellent to deal
with. Here's a link to his sto
http://stores.ebay.com/V-COM-COLLECTIONS

Old July 12th 04, 06:18 AM
DXZoner

I just bought the Tecsun PL-230 recenty and was pleasently surprised. They
do offer a good product for the money. I have seen the 550, and it's very
nice. I just ordered the analog R-9000Dx it should be here this week. I was
thinking of buying the 550, but did not know if I wanted the Chinese
lettering. I'm not worried about the SSB, I have 4 other good poratbles that
do have it. Have fun with the new radio.

Old July 12th 04, 09:47 AM
Sanjaya

"DXZoner" wrote...
I just bought the Tecsun PL-230 recenty and was pleasently surprised. They
do offer a good product for the money. I have seen the 550, and it's very
nice. I just ordered the analog R-9000Dx it should be here this week. I was
thinking of buying the 550, but did not know if I wanted the Chinese
lettering. I'm not worried about the SSB, I have 4 other good poratbles that
do have it. Have fun with the new radio.

Hi DXZ.

The Tecsun PL-550 from Liypn comes with an English language manual
compiled by him, and a picture of the radio front panel re-labeled in
English. There is also a Yahoo group for the PL-550. Ulis and HongKongRadioer
at radiointel.com also put together an excellent picture of the radio labeled
in English. That picture is available at radiointel and in the Yahoo group files
folder.

As far as using it with Chinese lettering... it is similar in operation to the
Tecsun PL-230 (Grundig YB-550PE) and after going through the
procedures a few times with Liypn's manual and picture it becomes
intuitive... I don't even notice the Chinese lettering now.

The radio is worth lots more than it sells for, and with a sensitivity gain switch
and antenna trimmer knob it gives *excellent* SW reception. If it had SSB
it would be perfect.

Old July 12th 04, 02:35 PM
lsmyer

I agree completely with Sanjaya. I don't notice the Chinese lettering any
longer either. It's such a natural radio to use now.

Of all the Chinese radios I've bought this year, the PL-550 is definitely
the best yet. It's the same price I paid for my DE1102, but it runs circles
around the Degen on performance, sound, ease of use, and features. So the
Degen sits quietly on the shelf while the Tecsun keeps me very happy indeed.

Tecsun PL-230 (Grundig YB-550) Review (NEW RADIO) Judah Smith Shortwave 10 October 7th 05 02:32 PM
Tecsun PL-550 ??? Michael Shortwave 4 March 29th 04 10:58 AM
Grundig S350 'Super Radio' Tecsun BCL-2000 [Was: Tecsun BCL-2000 Preview (Grundig S350) Gary Shortwave 1 February 16th 04 11:16 PM
TECSUN PL-230 / GRUNDIG YB-550 Anyone have one? Tell me about it. Judah Smith Shortwave 0 December 17th 03 06:14 AM
"2nd Generation" Tecsun BCL-2000 Radios = Grundig S350 ? ? ? RHF Shortwave 0 November 9th 03 01:51 AM