Old July 22nd 04, 05:02 PM
Dave Holford

I am going to be in Halifax, Nova Scotia
for a couple of weeks this summer.

-looking for tips on picking up transatlantic MW and
LW stations from Europe.
Will pack a Sony 7600G or a Yacht-Boy 400PE
and might pre-ship a small frame loop to the hotel.

Thanks -

I have had reasonably good results on LW with about 30 feet of wire and
my DX-398 from PEI so it should work well from Halifax. With a more
sophisticated receiver - HF150/R5000 much better results were obtained.

Many years ago, when I was in the RCAF and flying in that area we used
to listen to the BBC on 198kHz using the Radio Compass in the aircraft.

A friend who undertakes regular DXpeditions to a small island in the
Gulf of St. Lawrence lays 1,000 feet of wire on the beach and copies
European, (as well as Mid-East) LW around the clock.

Good listening,
Dave