Old September 17th 04, 06:54 AM
Dave Platt

In article Yct2d.12605$sX2.4259@trndny09,
Ironhead wrote:

I'm sure this has been answered before. Can I mount a 2M halo on the same
mast as a 2M vertical (jpole) without any adverse affect on one another? If
so, is there a certain space that needs to be between them? Thanks for any
help.

Pretty much so, yes, as long as there's a reasonable vertical
separation between them. The halo's emission is horizontally
polarized, with a deep null "overhead", so it won't tend to "notice"
the mast or the J-pole. The J-pole's radiation is vertical, with a
deep null below, and the halo will have little effect on it.

I've got a Copper Cactus 2m/440 J-pole at the top of my mast, with an
aluminum-strip halo mounted about 6" below the bottom of the J-pole's
matching stub, with the halo's closest (grounded) side being about 3"
from the mast. I haven't run any field-strength studies, so I can't
say for sure, but as far as I can tell there haven't been any
significant changes in my ability to work local repeaters or simplex
stations on the J-pole, and the halo's sensitivity seems quite
acceptable for its type.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO