Old September 17th 04, 04:53 AM
Ironhead

Default horizontal and vertical antenna on one mast

I'm sure this has been answered before. Can I mount a 2M halo on the same
mast as a 2M vertical (jpole) without any adverse affect on one another? If
so, is there a certain space that needs to be between them? Thanks for any
help.

KC2FYP

---

Old September 17th 04, 06:33 AM
Richard Clark

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 03:53:28 GMT, "Ironhead"
wrote:

I'm sure this has been answered before. Can I mount a 2M halo on the same
mast as a 2M vertical (jpole) without any adverse affect on one another? If
so, is there a certain space that needs to be between them? Thanks for any
help.

Hi OM,

They have different polarizations, so, in effect, they reside in each
other's null. On the other hand, the JPole is intrinsically Hi-Z and
can be disturbed by changes to its counterpoise (the metal beneath
it). However, once you tune them both up, they should live as benign
neighbors.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old September 17th 04, 06:54 AM
Dave Platt

In article Yct2d.12605$sX2.4259@trndny09,
Ironhead wrote:

I'm sure this has been answered before. Can I mount a 2M halo on the same
mast as a 2M vertical (jpole) without any adverse affect on one another? If
so, is there a certain space that needs to be between them? Thanks for any
help.

Pretty much so, yes, as long as there's a reasonable vertical
separation between them. The halo's emission is horizontally
polarized, with a deep null "overhead", so it won't tend to "notice"
the mast or the J-pole. The J-pole's radiation is vertical, with a
deep null below, and the halo will have little effect on it.

I've got a Copper Cactus 2m/440 J-pole at the top of my mast, with an
aluminum-strip halo mounted about 6" below the bottom of the J-pole's
matching stub, with the halo's closest (grounded) side being about 3"
from the mast. I haven't run any field-strength studies, so I can't
say for sure, but as far as I can tell there haven't been any
significant changes in my ability to work local repeaters or simplex
stations on the J-pole, and the halo's sensitivity seems quite
acceptable for its type.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Guy wire vs. guy rope zeno Antenna 18 April 19th 04 07:30 AM
About grounding and coupling antenna Thierry Antenna 3 January 17th 04 03:07 PM