Old August 29th 04, 02:36 AM
Johnny Lipps

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:46:03 -0600, uncle arnie
wrote:

The navy of which country?

Sorry, should have remembered that I'm dealing with an international
group: United States Navy.

What equipment do you listen with?

That's one of the reasons I'm reading the group: I don't currently have
any equipment. It's been over a decade since I've been an active listener
and back then I was using a no-name portable received from my father.
Recently I've been finding recordings of tapes of broadcasts from
Indonesia and was hoping to tune in on my own.
The matter of which equipment to use is being cleared up somewhat from
posts here and the Shortwave Radio Reviews at
http://www.vectorbd.com/sw_review.html.
I guess the main question I need to answer for myself is what level of
listener I want to be, casual or hardcore hobbyist. I sense it's
somewhere in between: I want a receiver that is tunable in smaller
increments than the standard portable, but I want to spend less time
tweaking than listening. When I have a setup working I'm sure you'll see
plenty of questions from me.

Thanks to everybody for the welcomes!