Old September 5th 04, 04:14 AM
Frank Dresser

"D. Martin" wrote in message
I bought an old grundig console SO 12 U1. It's a nice-looking piece. I
gutted it. I was thinking of using it primarily as a speaker cabinet.
Did I do the wrong thing, gutting it? Just thought I'd field a few
opinions. Darren

It's your radio, so there's nothing wrong with gutting it and using it for a
speaker cabinet. Of course, if the radio worked well, it would be silly to
gut it.

These things are usually repairable by knowledgeable professionals, but the
cost of the repairs frequently is more than what these radios are worth in
good working condition. I got my small Grundig console back working for
less than $10 worth of parts, but I wasn't charging anybody for my time.

If you still have the chassis, please consider offering it to someone for
it's parts. There's some transformers and mechanical bits on it which are
hard to find anywhere except on an old chassis. Donating your chassis may
keep some other Grundigs working. Also, some hobbyist might offer a trade,
say for a nice speaker -- or pair of speakers, for your cabinet and chassis.

rec.antiques.radio+phono would be a good place to get in touch with
hobbyists who fix up old radios.

Frank Dresser