Old October 9th 04, 04:11 AM
Lee Carkenord

Default solid or stranded copper best ?

My old delta loop on 20M SSB finally quit. Actually, it was destroyed
in a hailstorm. It was made of 18 gauge solid Copperweld, and stayed
up in the Denver smog for many years.

This equilateral antenna was mounted vertically, with apex up, fed in
middle of base.

It was a real good antenna, and I'm going to put up a replacement,
with same basic parameters.

In terms of strength, longevity, fatigue resistance, and resistance to
stretching which would be better, 12 to 16 gauge solid copper, or
12-16 gauge stranded copper?

Insulated or non-insulated?

If I use insulated 12-16 gauge copper, how much should I shorten the
overall length, expressed as a percentage, as compared to the bare 18
gauge Copperweld I had up before the storm? I will want this antenna
cut for same freq (14.225 Mhz) as the previous one.

Thank you...... Lee Carkenord KA0FPJ