Old October 9th 04, 04:11 AM
Lee Carkenord

Default solid or stranded copper best ?

My old delta loop on 20M SSB finally quit. Actually, it was destroyed
in a hailstorm. It was made of 18 gauge solid Copperweld, and stayed
up in the Denver smog for many years.

This equilateral antenna was mounted vertically, with apex up, fed in
middle of base.

It was a real good antenna, and I'm going to put up a replacement,
with same basic parameters.

In terms of strength, longevity, fatigue resistance, and resistance to
stretching which would be better, 12 to 16 gauge solid copper, or
12-16 gauge stranded copper?

Insulated or non-insulated?

If I use insulated 12-16 gauge copper, how much should I shorten the
overall length, expressed as a percentage, as compared to the bare 18
gauge Copperweld I had up before the storm? I will want this antenna
cut for same freq (14.225 Mhz) as the previous one.

Thank you...... Lee Carkenord KA0FPJ
Old October 9th 04, 06:41 AM
Hal Rosser

I used 14 ga THHN (stranded, insulated) with black insulation. It worked.
I would think 14 ga copperweld (copper-clad steel) would be ideal, but THHN
was easily available at the local builder supply - and cheaper.
Maybe the small guage wire you used contributed to its demise - 14 ga
version of what you were using would be my first pick.
Stranded wire is more flexible than solid, but that attribute may be moot
once the antenna is in place.

"Lee Carkenord" wrote in message
om...
[...]

---

Old October 9th 04, 08:25 PM
'Doc

Lee,
I think it's more a matter of preference than actual
(practical) differences between stranded and solid wire.
There is the possibility of interaction between the strands
of stranded wire (corrosion, smog, 'stuff'), no idea if it
would be objectionable in your area. One 'alternative' if
you decide on stranded wire is to use insulated wire and
seal it where you have to make connections. Ought'a make it
last longer before any of the 'interaction' between strands
begins.
You already have a fairly good idea of how long Copperweld
will last. Other types of wire will probably last about as
long, sort of.
The diameter of the conductor at HF is going to make very
little (if any) practical difference in length. You will still
have to do the normal 'checking and chopping' for resonance and
that will take care of any differences because of diameter. It's
frequency dependent, the higher the frequency, the more difference
it will make (but we're talking huge differences in frequency, not
Khz or Mhz differences).
The 'best' kind of wire to use is whatever you happen to have
the most of...
'Doc

Copper antennas: BCcubed Antenna 13 August 30th 04 09:13 PM
source for solid copper #10 AWG John Shadle Antenna 8 June 19th 04 12:06 AM
Steel to Copper Dave Antenna 13 June 11th 04 04:48 PM
Shielding Question Mike Coslo Antenna 12 February 14th 04 01:10 PM