Old October 14th 04, 02:48 AM
Jack Painter

"dxAce" wrote

Jack Painter wrote:

"dxAce" forwarded
Frequencies for Antarctic comms:

Palmer Station:
4125 - Secondary United States Antarctic Program (USAP) Field Parties,

Have seen this reported as Antarctic comms before. 4125 Khz is an
international maritime calling and distress frequency only. They might

use
it for calling as any maritime mobile station can, but it could not be
assigned to a fixed land station by any country that is signatory to IMO

and
other maritime frequency agreements.

No one ever stated that it was.

The original poster ( I forget, was it WUN?, some southender anyway) implied
that the station is assigned the frequencies he posted, and for some of them
that may be true. But accurate logging on 4125 should be something to the
effect like: "USAP Field Parties heard calling base" (or any station), etc,
if it were accurate. He implies they are assigned that frequency by his
inclusion of station-ID information that is never passed over the air. I am
just explaining they are not, and listeners to that frequency have a nill
chance of hearing Antarctica there since 200,000 ships worldwide use it for
hailing and distress.

Jack