Old August 22nd 03, 03:17 AM
Dr. Slick

Roy Lewallen wrote in message ...

Quite a number of the things we "know" about transmission lines are
actually true only if the assumption is made that Z0 is purely real;
that is, they're only approximately true, and only at HF and above with
decent cable. Among them are the three I've already mentioned, the
simplified formula for Z0, the relationship between power components,
and the optimum load impedance. Yet another is that the magnitude of the
reflection coefficient is always = 1.

That would be only into a passive network.

As people mainly concerned with
RF issues, we have the luxury of being able to use the simplifying
approximation without usually introducing significant errors. But
whenever we deal with formulas or situations that have to apply outside
this range, we have to remember that it's just an approximation and
apply the full analysis instead.

Tom, Ian, Bill, and most of the others posting on this thread of course
know all this very well. We have to know it in order to do our jobs
effectively, and all of us have studied and understood the derivation
and basis for Z0 calculation. But I hope it'll be of value to some of
the readers who might be misled by statements that "authorities" claim
that Z0 is purely real.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

No one ever said that Zo is always purely real. But many texts do
approximate it this way. Even the ARRL "bible".

Slick