Old October 25th 04, 12:30 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

I agree with you that Sanyo A/V equipment is junk. However, their
cell phones are uncharacteristically excellent.

Absolutely!

Conversely, I have a Samsung refrigerator in my kitchen and a Samsung
19 inch LCD display on my computer, and they are excellent products
that I have highly praised and recommended to other people. However
Samsung's cell phones, for lack of a better term, are total ****. Every
Samsung cell phone I've tried from 1999 all the way to the
present are cheaply constructed, have horrible audio quality, and
couldn't hold calls even when I was outside and in plain view of a
Sprint cell tower.

I bought a Sanyo 5300 before coming to college just so that I wouldn't have
to fight with the Samsung I had before that, since it would be my only
phone. I activated it and have had only a few rare problems with it.

A year after I got my 5300, my sister started to whine DAILY to me that
"Sprint sucks so bad, I get cut off a minute into each and every call." She
really wasn't lying. This was during the last 3 months or our 2-year
contract, and both my parents' and sister's Samsungs were deteriorating
fast, even after PRL/firmware updates. I was constantly telling her that it
was the phone, not the service, but she wanted to switch to Verizon badly.
I told her to give Sprint a chance, specifically with Sanyo 4920s. She
hasn't mentioned one dropped call since. Talk about a total 180, huh? The
retention deal wasn't too bad, either.

Why would Sprint represent their service so poorly with Samsung phones
instead of pushing Sanyo? In retail, repeat sales always takes precedence
over a higher phone-profit-margin. It seems like a no-brainer.

Oh, and the Samsungs were all A400s.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training