Old November 1st 04, 02:44 PM
Larry Ozarow

Last week the NY Times ran a typical
puff-piece article about BPL which looked
to be assembled out of FCC handouts and
industry white papers.

Over the weekend they had a sort-of correction
tacked on to an un-related article (don't remember
which one and I don't have the paper handy). The
gist was that the FCC/industry had taken note of
the ARRL objections and required suppression of
interference in what they termed something like
"critical" bands (again, don't remember the exact
phrase) - touted as a victory of government and
industry, cooperating to solve a problem, blah blah
blah. Load of crap.

Oz

Brenda Ann Dyer wrote:
"Mark Keith" wrote in message
om...

Also, I'm dubious that "notching" can really work. Both
for us, and them.

Notching didn't work in Japan, and Japan shut down all their BPL. Reason
being, you're dealing with square waves over several octaves of spectrum. As
anyone familiar with square waves knows, they are very rich in harmonic
output, and the first, third and fifth harmonics are not much less in power
than the fundamental. If they notch out 40m, you'll just get to hear the
third harmonic from 2.3MHz, and so on up the spectrum.