Old October 21st 04, 08:44 AM
Fractenna

"Fractenna" wrote in message
There were bunch of articles promising miracles, but it did not work
according to the promises, otherwise we would hear about it, see them
around.

Very interesting. Can you point out the citations of these articles

promising
miracles?

Let's do it differently: you point out single Cell phone, Wi-Fi or other
consumer gadget that uses Fractal antenna. Point out any other application
when the fractal antenna made difference.

Of course I could. But, even I can be convinced that a NG is not the site for
commercial marketing, Andrey.

No reason to do it differently; I have invited you to make citations So...maybe
I and others will learn something?

I will be happy to briefly discuss the technology and not the commercial
products, however.

There is no question that in some single band cases, there are many different
solutions that will meet a highly compromised need. The value equation in
performance and cost, does, shall we say, benefit from the huge design space
available with fractal antenna designs in other circumstances. That is, 99% of
real needs.

The price of cell phone antennas has dropped from about $1.20USD to less than
$0.09USD in the last 8 years. Let's say that in high volume (and for a given
model, its actually not that high)the COGS is $0.06USD PU. Now pay the
insurance premiums that the brain cancer litigation issue--an ongoing one, I
might add-- adds. Suddenly, there's no reason to be in cell phones, unless you
want to have a high chance of going out of business--as many antenna companies
have; seems like one or two goes under every month or so. Obviously some folks
want to continue to take that risk.

I'm not going to provide a list for you of products on this NG: customers, from
my observation, want the emphasis to be on their product and not on a component
in that product. I certainly know of applications in those markets you
describe, in addition to emerging markets along those lines.

Of course, there is no reason why YOU can't spend some money and pop some tops.

Fractal antennas have made profound differences in the lives of many in the
last few years, through their unique benefits in: smaller size; widebandedness;
multibandedness; embedded/covert placement, control of observables; and so on.
The early adopters have embraced the technology, and wireless commercial sector
you allude to, after a very tough 2003, is coming back well.

So, you can see that the reality is very different from your statement. Or
maybe you can't see that, in which case you should listen to someone who knows
the reality.

I hope this helps. If you have commercial interests you know where to reach me
off NG. Otherwise, it all goes outside of the scope of this forum, doesn't it?

73,
Chip N1IR