Old October 30th 04, 08:31 PM
w9gb

"Jack" wrote in message
om...

Is there a difference between a "Skywire" coax cable and a regular
coax cable you get from Radio Shack in terms of quality or
compatibilities?

Jack -

When buying coax -- be a "doubting Thomas" - there is a large amount of
"junk coax" on the market. In fact many CATV companies are now replacing
poor quality homeowner installed coax -- in order to handled new digital
channels, Internet and phone services (up to 2 GHz).

When I buy Belden (or Times) I know what I am getting, its quality and
consistency. I also purchase some coax versions by Press, TheWireman.
http://thewireman.com/index.shtml

I have known Press a number of years, and will ask him to look at the
shielding, braid and jacket formulations. The especially like his marine
RG-8X which meets unique marine and water/wet installations.

As for RadioShack, I do not use them for coax purchases. They are becoming
a cell phone retailer (and battery operated toys for Christmas) in many
parts of the country.

Allied Radio is no longer part of RadioShack - and it shows. While some
franchise owners and stores work to meet local needs, I do not find this on
a nationwide basis.

GB