Old October 30th 04, 04:17 PM
Jack

Default Skywire coax cable vs. regular coax cable

Is there a difference between a "Skywire" coax cable and a regular
coax cable you get from Radio Shack in terms of quality or
compatibilities?
Old October 30th 04, 06:20 PM
Jack Painter

"Jack" wrote in message
om...
Is there a difference between a "Skywire" coax cable and a regular
coax cable you get from Radio Shack in terms of quality or
compatibilities?

I think Grove Enterprises (reseller of equipment and publisher of Monitoring
Times) might have trademark to an HF antenna called "Grove Skywire". It is
an insulated coax-type antenna that functions as a long wire or random wire,
depending on how much of it you put up.

Radio Shack's RG-58U is a heavy duty and reliable coax that provides many
years of low-loss service. I eventually replaced all of mine with more
expensive Belden equivalents but doubt there is much difference in velocity
or shielding, etc.

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach VA

Old October 30th 04, 08:31 PM
w9gb

"Jack" wrote in message
om...

Is there a difference between a "Skywire" coax cable and a regular
coax cable you get from Radio Shack in terms of quality or
compatibilities?

Jack -

When buying coax -- be a "doubting Thomas" - there is a large amount of
"junk coax" on the market. In fact many CATV companies are now replacing
poor quality homeowner installed coax -- in order to handled new digital
channels, Internet and phone services (up to 2 GHz).

When I buy Belden (or Times) I know what I am getting, its quality and
consistency. I also purchase some coax versions by Press, TheWireman.
http://thewireman.com/index.shtml

I have known Press a number of years, and will ask him to look at the
shielding, braid and jacket formulations. The especially like his marine
RG-8X which meets unique marine and water/wet installations.

As for RadioShack, I do not use them for coax purchases. They are becoming
a cell phone retailer (and battery operated toys for Christmas) in many
parts of the country.

Allied Radio is no longer part of RadioShack - and it shows. While some
franchise owners and stores work to meet local needs, I do not find this on
a nationwide basis.

GB

Old October 31st 04, 02:26 PM
J. Mc Laughlin

For outdoor, flexible coax I have found that Bury-Flex (TM) from Davis is
ideal. This link takes you to the part of his site where quality coax may
be found:
http://www.davisrf.com/ham1/coax.htm

It is daft not to use good coax. As others have observed, No-Brand and RS
should be avoided.
73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

Old October 31st 04, 10:11 PM
Desmoface

For outdoor, flexible coax I have found that Bury-Flex (TM) from Davis is
ideal. This link takes you to the part of his site where quality coax may
be found:
http://www.davisrf.com/ham1/coax.htm

I used bury flex when I put up my 80 meter loop last year..burried about 20 ft
of it..so far so good..the stuff is very rugged..works good lasts long time..

Steve
kb8viv
Old November 1st 04, 04:04 PM
Jim

"Jack" wrote in message
om...
Is there a difference between a "Skywire" coax cable and a regular
coax cable you get from Radio Shack in terms of quality or
compatibilities?

One thing I didn't see mentioned in the other posts is the quality of the
wire used to make the coax.

I have seen this problem with both Radio Shack Coax and their hook up wire.
I beleive it is all made in Japan and they use a different copper alloy (or
possibly tempering) than the US companies. This makes the wire more brittle
and it tends to be stiffer. Read this as: You have to be Very
careful not to nick the wire or it will break when it flexes. The US made
copper wire I have used does not have this problem.

Jim
N8EE