Old July 14th 03, 09:27 PM
Jim Kelley

W5DXP wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote:
I've never disputed the solutions produce the same number. I disputed
the validity of the approach you took to arrive at the equation.

Here's a question for you, Jim. How much power is transferred from the
mismatched load rearward by Pref2?

First I have to know where it is being transferred. I don't see two
ends of a path. Is there a load resistor hiding in a circulator
somewhere? Is the 33.33 watts extra power that I could drive another
antenna with, but is otherwise going unused?

Or is it instead, simply a field that is excited by the boundary
conditions at the load that is being measured.

source---50 ohm feedline---+---150 ohm feedline---load
Pfwd1=200W -- Pfwd2=133.33W --
-- Pref1=100W -- Pref2=33.33W

If, as you have asserted, Pref2 can transfer zero watts when it measures
33.33W, can it also transfer 100W when it measures 33.33W?

The meter measures voltage, assumes a transfer of energy, and displays
power based on that assumption.

73, ac6xg